Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade my laptop to a SSD or buy a new rig?

Options
  • 29-08-2014 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Lately I am finding that my MacBook is starting to slow down quite a bit. I really thought it would last more than 5 years considering I spent so much on it.

Scrolling is slow at times on browsers
    Playing games on Steam like Counter-Strike Source and Global Offensive I encounter bad frame rate spikes
    Opening programs can take longer than usual

I upgraded to OSX Mavericks but some important software like Dreamweaver would not open or operate correctly. Will Mavericks make my laptop run smoother?

For a long time I have been wanting to build a Windows gaming rig. This would be used for heavy gaming and running 3Ds Max which is not available on OSX.

The things is I use my Mac for Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Fireworks, Logic Pro 9.

Options are to get a 512 GB SSD drive for €200 or buy a gaming rig with a budget of €750.

Would really like some advice on which option is best and if a SSD hard drive will help my MacBook

Model Name: MacBook Pro

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 6 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    500GB Hard Drive
    200GB Free

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭preytec

Not sure about Mac books. But it could be clocking down if there's a lot of dirt in the fans. I'd try doing a service first. Then I'd look around for some sort of free hard drive tester to see what the state of play is. Would you be able to trade your laptop in or sell it on adverts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you want to do any gaming, then a dedicated gaming machine is the only option. The spec's of that machine aren't sufficient for any remotely modern games. An SSD will help with boot times and general responsiveness - and I wouldn't rule it out for your laptop even if you do build a machine as well. Having said that, your spec's are more than adequate for general use other than gaming, so a re-install would be ideal - but an SSD would be very helpful. If you have a 750 budget, you can easily afford an SSD for your macbook and a gaming machine as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭DarraghR

If you have a 750 budget, you can easily afford an SSD for your macbook and a gaming machine as well.

Was hoping for an i7 processor but probably wont get one with that budget? One of my housemates might be selling is 3rd gen i7 rig so maybe he will just sell the processor :)
    Whats the cheapest place to order parts?

So what about the operating system on my Mac. Should I upgrade? I know it has a lot of new features and nice synchronization with an iPhone but will things run smoother?

Advertisement