Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil prices, what gives?

Options
  • 28-08-2014 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭

The right oil for my car, 5w30 VW is around €50 for 4 litres from a motor factor. The same oil from a VW main dealer, when serviced is invoiced at around €20. I know the dealer can by in bulk but even so why are they not charging more, or factors charging less?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

The right oil for my car, 5w30 VW is around €50 for 4 litres from a motor factor. The same oil from a VW main dealer, when serviced is invoiced at around €20. I know the dealer can by in bulk but even so why are they not charging more, or factors charging less?

Need to find a motor factor with smaller windows

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Some of the oils for modern diesels are expensive. Castrol, Mobil 1 etc costing silly money for 5L. Surprisingly the main dealers in the case of vw started retailing the official vw quantum oils for very reasonable prices, much cheaper than motor factors for the specific oils required.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Castrol Magnatec 5w30 is about €36 from Halfords or Micks Garage for 4 litres. The likes of a 1.4 petrol Golf will only take just over 3 litres to fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Buy the oil from vw then? Their quantum oils are very good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Castrol Magnatec 5w30 is about €36 from Halfords or Micks Garage for 4 litres. The likes of a 1.4 petrol Golf will only take just over 3 litres to fill.

Ford 5w30 is about that from Halfords, VW spec 5w30 is €54.

• Advertisement

Will be buying from VW in future i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Ford 5w30 is about that from Halfords, VW spec 5w30 is €54.

You sure...this stuff here seems to be VW Spec...

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/car-engine-oil/castrol-magnatec-5w30-c3-oil-4-litre
    VW 501.01 502.00 505.00

Not sure, Castrol Edge was what I bought for the 1.4tsi petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Look At the required vw spec in your owners manual. Vw 504.00 etc then you can shop around but no doubt vw are offering good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

That's not the correct oil for the 1.4 TSi. It has to be 504, 507.

• Advertisement
Advertisement