Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you need Higher Level Maths for Primary Teaching?

Options
  • 28-08-2014 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have just started back at school today, into 5th year. We were getting out subjects organised mainly today. When it came to maths, We were given a big talk on the whole system etc.
    I know I am not the great at maths. I got a D in the Junior Cert.
    Do you really need H.L maths to get into a teaching course because I know its the one subject I will definetly struggle at.. and probably fail in the Leaving Cert.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭6thyearlife

No you dont need HL maths but you need a C3 in HL irish

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

What he said. My girlfriend is a PL teacher and she scraped the c3 in Irish and a B1 pass Maths.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Sinead_McG wrote: »
    I have just started back at school today, into 5th year. We were getting out subjects organised mainly today. When it came to maths, We were given a big talk on the whole system etc.
    I know I am not the great at maths. I got a D in the Junior Cert.
    Do you really need H.L maths to get into a teaching course because I know its the one subject I will definetly struggle at.. and probably fail in the Leaving Cert.
    You don't need HL maths at the moment, but there has been some discussion about implementing such a requirement for primary teaching in the future.

If you are going into 5th year at the moment, I very much doubt if it will affect you ... there's no guarantee it will be implemented at all (some very divided opinions as to whether it would be a positive thing) and in any case even if it eventually comes in, I would expect them to give sufficient lead-in time so that students interested in primary teaching would know well in advance of starting Senior Cycle that they will require HL Maths.

Advertisement