Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for viewing Leaving Cert Art Script

Options
  • 28-08-2014 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I hope I have posted this in the right section, but I am looking for advice for viewing the Leaving Cert Art script and how to best make an informed decision because I will be basing my decision on only 37.5% of the overall exam.

I will be attending the evening session in my school tomorrow and I have read through the marking scheme in advance.

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Did you ask if your Art teacher might be able to come?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DrumRollPlease

spurious wrote: »
    Did you ask if your Art teacher might be able to come?

My art teacher is no longer teaching in the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Is it just the history of Art you are viewing? are you not viewing your artwork?

In relation to the History of Art which three questions did you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

You get back your practical art too. But I dont think you get all of it? I can't remember but I definitely got my life drawing and imaginative, cant remember about the craft though.

The craftwork stays at the school and is corrected there during June.

• Advertisement

Red Hare wrote: »
    Is it just the history of Art you are viewing? are you not viewing your artwork?

In relation to the History of Art which three questions did you do?

I was told you were only able to get the results from the Art History back, that none of the practical work was available. How do I know what I'm able to view, or will I just find out what's there tomorrow?

For the Art History I did question 1 from section 1, the one about passage graves, from section 2 I did question 14 and choose a sculpture by Gislebertus, and finally from section 3 I did question 20, the graphic design question.
    peekachoo wrote: »
    You get back your practical art too. But I dont think you get all of it? I can't remember but I definitely got my life drawing and imaginative, cant remember about the craft though.

I know the craftwork was corrected in the school so is it likely I'll get that back, the still life and life drawing was corrected externally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Well then it's the craftwork you don't see during the viewing but you see the rest of the practical.

peekachoo wrote: »
    Well then it's the craftwork you don't see during the viewing but you see the rest of the practical.

If that's the case then it makes it a lot more easier to make an informed decision.

You should get back the marks for each of your 4 exam components. If you dont find out why not from the schools exam secretary.
    Bring the exam paper and marking scheme with you, pen and paper. Write down the marks in each section and bring this away with you to analyse later.

History Question 1;
    10 marks going for sketches - dont expect high marks for sketches if you did not label them
    Did you mention the location of these tombs- it easy to forget this

Question 14
    20 marks is a lot going for the discussion of one sculpture by Gislebertus - did you refer directly to each of the elements asked for - artist, style, composition/design, materials, technique and the period in which it was produced.
    Sketches - labels are important, also - unless your sketches are really excellent - you need to do a few sketches to get good marks.

Question 20
    This is a tough question because there is a lot of different things being asked for - check to see if you discussed each element -
    what is being communicated
    composition/layout
    colour
    technique
    Name of Chosen Artwork and how it can be used to advertise product

Dont forget to bring the marking schemes for the practical exams elements. One you have gathered the marks from each component you can later work out your grade - for example in history a 41 out of 50 marks for question 1 is 82%. Check to see how close you are to each grade!

Best of luck tomorrow - let us know how you get on!

You should get back the marks for each of your 4 exam components. If you dont find out why not from the schools exam secretary.
    Bring the exam paper and marking scheme with you, pen and paper. Write down the marks in each section and bring this away with you to analyse later.

History Question 1;
    10 marks going for sketches - dont expect high marks for sketches if you did not label them
    Did you mention the location of these tombs- it easy to forget this

Question 14
    20 marks is a lot going for the discussion of one sculpture by Gislebertus - did you refer directly to each of the elements asked for - artist, style, composition/design, materials, technique and the period in which it was produced.
    Sketches - labels are important, also - unless your sketches are really excellent - you need to do a few sketches to get good marks.

Question 20
    This is a tough question because there is a lot of different things being asked for - check to see if you discussed each element -
    what is being communicated
    composition/layout
    colour
    technique
    Name of Chosen Artwork and how it can be used to advertise product

Dont forget to bring the marking schemes for the practical exams elements. One you have gathered the marks from each component you can later work out your grade - for example in history a 41 out of 50 marks for question 1 is 82%. Check to see how close you are to each grade!

Best of luck tomorrow - let us know how you get on!

Thanks for the help. I'd say it could be Question 20 on where I fell down. I felt the questions on the appreciation section were quite more difficult this year. But I'm pretty confident with question 14 as the question was nearly identical to the one I had done in the mocks. I'll report back anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You can't bring these into the viewing. Marking schemes are provided.

let us know how you get on!

I decided to get the result rechecked in the end. I wasn't able to get my craftwork result back, but I got to view all of the other sections. As I suspected Question 20 was where I fell down in the written paper.

That was a very tough question - Best of luck in the recheck!

That was a very tough question - Best of luck in the recheck!

Thanks, yeah I kinda forced myself to do that question because the museum one just didn't suit me.

Advertisement