Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Excessive wear on inner rear tyre BMW 520d

Options
  • 28-08-2014 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭

Have the car about a month now and checked the tyres before purchase and they looked fine. Today I had a look at them again and noticed very bad wear on the rear drivers wheel on the inside that I didn't (but should have) spotted at first inspection. The passenger rear has a small amount of wear at the same side but much less (pics below). Front tyres are fine. I contacted the dealer who is replacing both tyres (run flats) immediately. Is this a common issue with BMW's due to the rear wheel drive or is it an alignment problem, particularly if it is worse on one side than the other? I have also read somewhere that this is more of a problem on run flats due to the harder nature of the tyres.

Driver side rear wheel
    15063427932_60213a51bb_c.jpgIMG_4829 copy by Wailin..., on Flickr

Passenger rear
    15063778335_7db4b714e8_c.jpgIMG_4831 copy by Wailin..., on Flickr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

Under-inflated runflats can wear like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Rear suspension ball joint causes the camber to be off and inner tyre ware.

The ball joint is on the other side of the nut in picture.

I just done my own you need a press or bmw extraction tool to get ball joint out and new one back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

visual wrote: »
    Rear suspension ball joint causes the camber to be off and inner tyre ware.

The ball joint is on the other side of the nut in picture.

I just done my own you need a press or bmw extraction tool to get ball joint out and new one back in.

Don't think its a job I could do myself after looking it up on youtube. Is there any way I can tell it is actually the balljoint that's causing the problem? Any telltale signs that it needs changing (apart from the tyre wear!)? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Jack it up at rear and use jack stands.

With a big screwdriver or pry bar you can push and pull against where that big bolt meets the bearing if there is any movement the bearing is faulty.

Its a common fault on the BMs epically e39

Expect to pay 500 euro for a garage to do it for you. (Both sides)

I bought a suspension repair kit that included all control arms and drop links thing it was 230 from ebay for both sides.

I did see the suspension bearings much cheaper 50 or 60 euro a pair.

But you really need the extraction tool but its costs best part of 200 euro to buy.
    I tried using big bolt and washer but the bolt kept snapping and I couldnt get high tensile bolt in the size I needed.

It is a bugger of a job to do without the right tool.
    Took me a day just to remove one side with lots of unrepeatable words. But it is possible to DIY

Advertisement