Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Build Advice

Options
  • 28-08-2014 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? €1,000

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet. Games like Watch Dogs, Crysis 3, Metro last light.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? I have an DVD Drive from an old dell desktop, model no. TS-H653B / DEBH

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920x1080 and No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? Credit Card or Laser

9. When are you purchasing? Within the next few weeks

I would like to base this build around the intel i7 4790k cpu
    Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

What will it's main use be? The focus of the budget should be put towards that. If it's video editing then you may want 16gb of ram and that i7 but if it's gaming then 8gb of ram and an i5 is more than enough and allows more money for the gpu.

Basically it's either the i7 + 16gb of ram with an r9 280 or an i5 + 8gb of ram with an R9 290.

SSD and HDD sizes can be adjusted as well.

It's possible to squeeze the i7 and 290 in by cheaping out on the case and PSU a little but if you plan on overclocking I'd add fans to the case or buy a more expensive case and a better power supply with a higher efficiency rating.

320180.png

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Splender1

BloodBath wrote: »
    What will it's main use be? The focus of the budget should be put towards that. If it's video editing then you may want 16gb of ram and that i7 but if it's gaming then 8gb of ram and an i5 is more than enough and allows more money for the gpu.

Basically it's either the i7 + 16gb of ram with an r9 280 or an i5 + 8gb of ram with an R9 290.

SSD and HDD sizes can be adjusted as well.

It's possible to squeeze the i7 and 290 in by cheaping out on the case and PSU a little but if you plan on overclocking I'd add fans to the case or buy a more expensive case and a better power supply with a higher efficiency rating.

320180.png

That's great, thanks Bloodbath. The main focus would be on video editing and 3d design. I probably won't be overlooking for a good while yet. Could you recommend another r290 just because that one isn't in stock?

Hi Bloodbath, i'm going with the build you recommended. I just changed the case to this one .
    Do you think the Club 3D R9 290 Ace will fit into this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Splender1 wrote: »
    Hi Bloodbath, i'm going with the build you recommended. I just changed the case to this one .
    Do you think the Club 3D R9 290 Ace will fit into this case?

The cards length is 308mm and the maximum length that the case fits is 304mm

Blitz17 wrote: »
    The cards length is 308mm and the maximum length that the case fits is 304mm

Could you recommend a good case that would suit that Gpu?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

H97 board? I could be wrong, but I thought OCing was limited to the Pentium only.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Good spot, I thought I went with the Z97 one but it should still overclock. It depends on the manufacturer of course but most of those boards have overclocking enabled.

Either make sure it does or swap to a z97 board to make sure.

If you are overclocking with the 290 go with a better power supply. That corsair one is ok but the 12v rail can undervolt a little and the capacitors aren't top quality.

The Corsair RM models are more expensive but far better quality with higher efficiency. The money will be saved in electricity bills in the long run and the power supply will last longer.

I'd consider dropping down to an R9 280 which will still run most games on or near max settings and using the money to upgrade to 16gb of ram and a bigger ssd if the main focus is video editing though.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Good spot, I thought I went with the Z97 one but it should still overclock. It depends on the manufacturer of course but most of those boards have overclocking enabled.

Either make sure it does or swap to a z97 board to make sure.

If you are overclocking with the 290 go with a better power supply. That corsair one is ok but the 12v rail can undervolt a little and the capacitors aren't top quality.

The Corsair RM models are more expensive but far better quality with higher efficiency. The money will be saved in electricity bills in the long run and the power supply will last longer.

I'd consider dropping down to an R9 280 which will still run most games on or near max settings and using the money to upgrade to 16gb of ram and a bigger ssd if the main focus is video editing though.

Thanks very much lads for all your help. I'm going to go with this motherboard along with this PSU and case.

Advertisement