Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yankee Candles

Options
  • 28-08-2014 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I love candles - the smell, sight of them burning etc - and always have one lit in the evening. I find them very relaxing!

Recently I've had some from the Paul Costello range in Dunnes and have really liked them. I've had some duds from Next (looked nice but didn't give great fragrance), despite getting some good ones from there in the past. I find Dunnes own-brand candles a bit sickly.

I've never had a Yankee Candle but am thinking of trying one out. Are they good? I find the smells a bit strong in the shop - do they burn well or smell fake? Any suggestions on one to get?

Any thoughts would be great before I splash out! (I know it's only a candle and not a lifetime investment, but still...)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Home store and More have them half price at present I think. There's one called " clean cotton" or some such laundry type name that isn't cloying or oversweet.

Personally I prefer Max Benjamin or other soy/ natural candles.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kerryite

Thanks byhookorbycrook - I'll have a look at the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

+1 for Max Benjamin candles. I don't really like scented candles but Max Benjamin are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Roxirose

N

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭TheBody

Wyldwood wrote: »
    +1 for Max Benjamin candles. I don't really like scented candles but Max Benjamin are lovely.

I agree! Really nice fragrances.

• Advertisement

I personally can't stand Yankee Candles, I find them very artificial smelling - like a loo cleaner or something, and very cloying.

ETA: Mrs Meyers Candles are all lovely - my favourite is the Verbena, natural smelling and long-lasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

I find Yankee candles very fake smelling. A friend brought me a lily flame candle as part of a gift hamper, and I love them.

Never heard of max Benjamin but will keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

I find Yankee candles very fake smelling. A friend brought me a lily flame candle as part of a gift hamper, and I love them.

Never heard of max Benjamin but will keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kerryite

Thanks all! I bought a Yankee Candle in Home Store & More yesterday (50% off) so will give it a try. I generally hate fake smelling candles so an not sure how I'll find it. Must definitely try Max Benjamin too!

The best candle I ever had was a soy one from Ecoya (Kiwi brand). Love them but very expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I LOVE Yankee Candles and always get them in Homestore and More when they're on offer.
    Don't see how they can be called fake when they're probably the only fragranced candles you can actually smell while they're lighting.

I love Clean Cotton and for Christmas I love Red Berry Wreath.
    I also love Mango and Papaya.

They last for ages!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 CorChil

Nice smell that one

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭deisediva

I like Yankees and normally buy the tarts as I find them better value for money. Ok you need to buy a tart burner but in the long run it's cheaper.
    Where can I get those Max benjamin candles would like to try always buying new ones to try but keep going back to Yankee

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

Love Yankee. Got a few Max Benjamin ones for free (Late Late - one for everyone in the audience lol) and wasn't impressed, scents given were random so maybe that's it (men's aftershave and mint).

I prefer a stronger smell-I burn one beside the cats litter box!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

deisediva wrote: »
    Where can I get those Max benjamin candles would like to try always buying new ones to try but keep going back to Yankee

Carraig Doon sell Max Benjamin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Max Benjamin's Blue Suffuse is lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

Yeah also love Max Benjamins candles - they are fab or Brooke & Shoals (Bob & Kates sell them in Clane).

Cant stand Yankee Candles - very strong & fake smelling :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Herself bought a brand of candles called Root Candle from a candle store in Naas that also has Yankee. The Root Candle is a natural wax blend and even though she only bought the small one, the smell is very strong.

I'll try and find the store name later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

delahuntv wrote: »
    Herself bought a brand of candles called Root Candle from a candle store in Naas that also has Yankee. The Root Candle is a natural wax blend and even though she only bought the small one, the smell is very strong.

I'll try and find the store name later.

Yankee Store by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

I love the Yankee candles, I have pink dragon fruit and midnight jasmine at the moment.

They're pricey enough but you can get them on offer and they do last ages.

I got one of the big jar candles as a gift back in February and it only finished a couple of weeks ago. Pretty good going considering I light them regularly in the evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 TGBlinds Awnings Shutters

I got a Soya candle in a jar like the Yankee ones in B&Q ... smelled just the same but half the price! Was a bit reluctant with it being soya but it had the same burning time!

• Advertisement

dmc17 wrote: »

Yep - thought it was weird, but seems they carry several different brands of stuff.

dmc17 wrote: »

Yep - thought it was weird, but seems they carry several different brands of stuff.

Advertisement