Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant Defy 2015 Range

Options
  • 28-08-2014 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I'm moving from a Hybrid to a Road Bike soon with the intention of getting a few Sportives & Triathlons in next year... so I'm relatively new to longer distance. I'm looking at the Giant Defy 3 Maybe... I'm told they Defy are probably the best Value for money would you agree?? or any other suggestions under €1000?

Should I care about the spec difference between a Defy 1 & Defy 5? means nothing to me but the price is a big jump.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

I've had a Defy 2 for about a year now.
    Bullet proof bike and the paint jobs for the 2015 models are really nice.

Only thing I'd say is that the compact frame isn't as aggressive of some of the other racers out there, albeit very comfortable over long distances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭GLC

I have a defy 5 and at the other end of the scale I have a tcr advanced 1, and at times I find myself reaching for the defy over the tcr believe it or not. If I was to purchase from the defy range again I would probably go up the range for the better components for that extra bit of smoothness going through the gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Steroo wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I'm moving from a Hybrid to a Road Bike soon with the intention of getting a few Sportives & Triathlons in next year... so I'm relatively new to longer distance. I'm looking at the Giant Defy 3 Maybe... I'm told they Defy are probably the best Value for money would you agree?? or any other suggestions under €1000?

Should I care about the spec difference between a Defy 1 & Defy 5? means nothing to me but the price is a big jump.

Thanks

Only some of the defy's have a carbon fork, think it's 3 upwards. The group set goes as follows: Defy 1 = 105. Defy 2= Tiagra. Defy 3= Sora.

If you are on the BTW scheme I would go for the Defy 1, After tax it's 10 euro a week..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

not yet wrote: »
    Only some of the defy's have a carbon fork, think it's 3 upwards.

The 4 gets the carbon fork. Other than that it's identical to the 5. Both have Shimano Claris.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Wheels on The defy 5 are rubbish. i've had mine since april and had 2 broken spokes and the wheel in for problem with the hub, all on the back wheel. other than that its a great a bike and comfortable bike. handles really well.

• Advertisement

Wheels on The defy 5 are rubbish. i've had mine since april and had 2 broken spokes and the wheel in for problem with the hub, all on the back wheel. other than that its a great a bike and comfortable bike. handles really well.

I've a Defy 4 since December last year. No issues with the wheels to date - I've clocked up about 3,500kms. The tyres aren't great - mine were wrecked after 1,000kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Looking at getting one myself, a Defy 1 2015 or a TCR 3 2014.

I am leaning towards the TCR as I would like a carbon bike and I can pick up the parts to upgrade when I see them on sale whereas if I get the Defy I cant really upgrade the frame.

Also the TCR is on tiagra and the Defy 1 is 105 and from what I read, there isn't too much difference between tiagra and 105 - used to have 105 and loved them but never used tiagra.

Better to go with the defy 1 or the TCR?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

RoboRat wrote: »

I am leaning towards the TCR as I would like a carbon bike and I can pick up the parts to upgrade when I see them on sale whereas if I get the Defy I cant really upgrade the frame.

Also the TCR is on tiagra and the Defy 1 is 105 and from what I read, there isn't too much difference between tiagra and 105 - used to have 105 and loved them but never used tiagra.

Is it the carbon defy your looking at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Keep an eye on Giant Dublin Facebook page, they might have some 2014 models coming up on special, I have a 2014 Defy 1 its a brilliant bike.

• Advertisement

crosstownk wrote: »
    I've a Defy 4 since December last year. No issues with the wheels to date - I've clocked up about 3,500kms. The tyres aren't great - mine were wrecked after 1,000kms.

I got 750 km out of my tires before they started splitting down the middle. They rolled great but not made for longevity. As for the wheels, i'm think of changing them as i've haven't used the bike now for about a month due to the risk of more problems with them. I've a trek alpha that i use and the wheels are bullet proof.

I've also seen other reports on the net about giant wheel not being great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

Does nobody care just how ugly the Defy's are (particularly in larger sizes) or maybe "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭scheister

was thinking about getting the defy 1 on BTW scheme. was quoted €915(before the tax savings) which did not seem to bad

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

scheister wrote: »
    was thinking about getting the defy 1 on BTW scheme. was quoted €915(before the tax savings) which did not seem to bad

Can I ask where?

Can I ask where?

The giant shop on the long mile road had there clearance sale of last years models when i was in the last week. They had some good deals

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

The giant shop on the long mile road had there clearance sale of last years models when i was in the last week. They had some good deals

I rang them this morning but they said that they had no 2014 defys in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭scheister

Can I ask where?

having a blank moment now cant remember was that the price for defy 2 or 1 but was wolfe cycles

C3PO wrote: »
    Does nobody care just how ugly the Defy's are (particularly in larger sizes) or maybe "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"!!

Nope but of course I'm biased :) have defy advanced got most attention of the new bikes in the club this year

For me it's the first one , defy composite. What cycling you planning, racing or general sportive/club spins? The TCRs are aimed at those racing while Defys are aimed at sportive rider saying that I have defy advanced and have no problem keeping up on club spins. I have disc issues in back and found the defy geometry much more comfortable.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

shaka wrote: »
    Nope but of course I'm biased :) have defy advanced got most attention of the new bikes in the club this year

the advanced's are (understandably) nicer looking than the aluminium models though in my opinion. I have a 2012 composite and really like the look of it but some of the paint jobs and the new rear triangle shape of the 2013's i wasnt too keen on to be honest.

• Advertisement

the advanced's are (understandably) nicer looking than the aluminium models though in my opinion. I have a 2012 composite and really like the look of it but some of the paint jobs and the new rear triangle shape of the 2013's i wasnt too keen on to be honest.

Know what your saying think Giants paint schemes lack something sometimes. Like the rear

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

shaka wrote: »
    Know what your saying think Giants paint schemes lack something sometimes. Like the rear

yeah they can be very hit and miss in my opinion, saying that there's a few ofenders when it comes to that. i think the 2015's look pretty good though

I rang them this morning but they said that they had no 2014 defys in stock

My LBS Kilmallock cycles had a defy composite in stock last time I was in.

They also have a propel but that's whole different price category

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

105 on Defy 1 is now 11 speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭barrymac20

inc21 wrote: »
    105 on Defy 1 is now 11 speed.

I notice the cassette is a 12 to 30, and its on the datasheet as being shimano 105. but the shimano website doesn't show the 105 as having a cassette like that. Any chance they're putting a tiagra one on instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Only got my defy 1 last week and absolutely love it!

barrymac20 wrote: »
    I notice the cassette is a 12 to 30, and its on the datasheet as being shimano 105. but the shimano website doesn't show the 105 as having a cassette like that. Any chance they're putting a tiagra one on instead

Probably an SRAM cassette. But you're right about the 105 - it's 12-25, 11-28 or 11-32.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Probably an SRAM cassette.

The giant website says it's a shimano 105 cassette

So I challenged them on it and it's a typo on the website. It comes as standard with 11-32. But they would change to one of the other 105 cassettes if I wanted. 12-25 or 11-28. Which would be best for starting out. One of my mates reckons i wouldn't need a 30 or 32 unless I was on really steep hills

• Advertisement

barrymac20 wrote: »
    One of my mates reckons i wouldn't need a 30 or 32 unless I was on really steep hills

I've 32 and rarely use it. The last two times I recall using it were climbing Priest's Leap and Kippure and I reckon I could manage Kippure without it but not so sure about Priest's Leap!

Advertisement