Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Civic 1.4 Ep1

Options
  • 28-08-2014 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hey guys, I'm looking at a 2002 Honda civic 1.4l today and was wondering on any advice? What should I look out for etc?

And also, as regards to insurance, how come civics are more on expensive compared to say a vvti corolla?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

TheCassman wrote: »
    And also, as regards to insurance, how come civics are more on expensive compared to say a vvti corolla?

Reputation. Typically seen as the car of choice for the "boy racer" brigade (not so much the EP1 but the legacy lives on), and they used to be a high theft risk (probably still are).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

djimi wrote: »
    Reputation. Typically seen as the car of choice for the "boy racer" brigade (not so much the EP1 but the legacy lives on), and they used to be a high theft risk (probably still are).

Yup you can break into them with a butter knife and take them.

Also a VVTi corolla is a far better choice if you can get one OP. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

they used to be a high theft risk (probably still are).

My friend's Civic stolen 2 weeks ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Listen for bearing noise in gearbox. Electric power steering can have issues. Boot space is tiny in the 3 door. Other than those issues fantastic car and fairly nippy for 1.4. 5 door looks just awful so get a 3 door!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TheCassman

Reputation. Typically seen as the car of choice for the "boy racer" brigade (not so much the EP1 but the legacy lives on), and they used to be a high theft risk (probably still are).[/QUOTE If the posses a high theft risk, its not good for me. I go to college in Limerick and I'm not being stereotypical but it will make me feel abit uneasy with it parked.

• Advertisement

If the posses a high theft risk, its not good for me. I go to college in Limerick and I'm not being stereotypical but it will make me feel abit uneasy with it parked.

If the posses a high theft risk, its not good for me. I go to college in Limerick and I'm not being stereotypical but it will make me feel abit uneasy with it parked.

I dont know what the EP1s are like in that regard in fairness. Insurance companies still rate Civics as higher risk based on a reputation built up over a long time now, but Im not sure that a 1.4 EP1 Civic is going to be all that desirable. If in doubt, spend a few quid and stick a decent alarm system in it.

I dont know what the EP1s are like in that regard in fairness. Insurance companies still rate Civics as higher risk based on a reputation built up over a long time now, but Im not sure that a 1.4 EP1 Civic is going to be all that desirable. If in doubt, spend a few quid and stick a decent alarm system in it.

cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/civic-type-r-rep-15-months-nct/7562261

This is the car I would be looking at!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Never abused family car!

Never abused family car!

Its seems a good buy in my opinion!

• Advertisement

Never abused family car!

Doesnt really tie in with the fake Type R gubbins stuck to the car! Not to say that its not a clean well maintained car of course, but I would be checking it over thoroughly to ensure that it hasnt had the rag driven out of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

As another poster already mentioned, Gearbox bearings, electric power steering can give issues on these.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    As another poster already mentioned, Gearbox bearings, electric power steering can give issues on these.

Cheers Thanks John!

I called up 2 insurance companies yesterday and one company told me the car was a Jap import and I could not be insured and another told me it wasnt? Abit confused..... I will check the vin number when I see it.

Cheers Thanks John!

I called up 2 insurance companies yesterday and one company told me the car was a Jap import and I could not be insured and another told me it wasnt? Abit confused..... I will check the vin number when I see it.

A 2002 JDM car will be in km/h. That car isnt a Jap import unless the clocks have been changed. Also, JDM imports tend to have smaller square reg plates, not the long ones we use (not always, but its a good indicator).

A 2002 JDM car will be in km/h. That car isnt a Jap import unless the clocks have been changed. Also, JDM imports tend to have smaller square reg plates, not the long ones we use (not always, but its a good indicator).

Thanks! Atleast I know now... I have been talking with my dad and we are gonna register the car under his name so that the insurance policy is his and I become a name driver and hopefully after a year or so the price will come down.

Do any of ye know any cheap insurance companies?

Advertisement