Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol Treatments

Options
  • 28-08-2014 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

what are your opinions on products like these?

clicky clicky

A friend of mine claims it's miracle juice for his car but he would have a reputation as being like the del boy of DIY

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Meh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

I use dipetane with every fill and find it pays for itself. I have heard good things about cataclean but would be wary of anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

.....are you sure he's not the Trigger of DIY ????;)

From the Halford's Site,
    "The STP Petrol Treatment is specially formulated to improve engine performance and reduce fuel consumption by fighting the build-up of harmful dirt, varnish and deposits in the fuel system."

The best cleaner for getting rid of dirt, varnish and deposits is usually Petrol....unless it's been left for a few years in a fuel system, when only a Dremel will remove the build-up of varnish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I use dipetane with every fill and find it pays for itself. I have heard good things about cataclean but would be wary of anything else.

What does it do exactly? How does it pay for it self? I used it for a while in my own car and found it made no difference in fuel economy or in the running of the engine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Any scientific evidence for the likes of these? I tried googling for dipetane earlier and all I got was references on the vendor sites, which were probably sponsored by their good selves.

Also, have people here seen any performance improvements? I couldn't give a good god damn about MPG, but I'd happily buy something by the gallon if there was dyno-proven evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    What does it do exactly? How does it pay for it self? I used it for a while in my own car and found it made no difference in fuel economy or in the running of the engine.

I have noticed that I am getting about 40 extra miles a tank since I started using it. The Irish defence forces use it an all their fuel and have done since 1992 and this resulted in a drop in fuel consumption per mile. If you go to Shanghai, all petrol there is treated with dipetane as it reduces emissions. In France all home heating oil is treated with the stuff. These people are not using it for fun they are using it to reduce consumption/emissions/carbon buildup in the engine.

If it hasnt worked for you that is fair enough but just because it doesnt work for you doesnt mean it doesnt work at all.
    daveohdave wrote: »
    Any scientific evidence for the likes of these? I tried googling for dipetane earlier and all I got was references on the vendor sites, which were probably sponsored by their good selves.

Also, have people here seen any performance improvements? I couldn't give a good god damn about MPG, but I'd happily buy something by the gallon if there was dyno-proven evidence.

No noticeable difference on power but it is a 1.6L avensis. Nothing makes that powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    .....are you sure he's not the Trigger of DIY ????;)

From the Halford's Site,
    "The STP Petrol Treatment is specially formulated to improve engine performance and reduce fuel consumption by fighting the build-up of harmful dirt, varnish and deposits in the fuel system."

The best cleaner for getting rid of dirt, varnish and deposits is usually Petrol....unless it's been left for a few years in a fuel system, when only a Dremel will remove the build-up of varnish.

Thanks I was curious as to whether it was a bit like snake oil...or the placebo effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

I had my car Terracleaned. Within a week, I noticed my MPG had improved from 28.5, to between 32 & 33.
    Also the car seems a lot more responsive, especially at lower revs.

http://www.terracleanireland.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

I had my car terracleaned and it did feck all.

I've yet to see the likes of terraclean proved via dyno runs.

Advertisement