Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wheel cleaner

Options
  • 27-08-2014 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭

Greetings car cleaning chums :P

I was going to PM Curran but I though I might as well get a thread going and get everyones opinion. Basically I'm looking for a wheel cleaner recommendation.

Most recently I've been using OAC Wheel Cleanse. TBH I'm not wild about it. Yes it seems to be very safe but I've found it somewhat lacking in the trouser department when it comes to cleaning ability:P. I would't mind sacrificing a little bit of safety for better cleaning ability because I feel like it would be overall safer for the wheels as less aggressive scrubbing would be required. The protection that will be more than lightly be used on the wheels will be Chemical Guys wheel guard so ideally whatever I choose won't strip it too much.

What would you recommend and what have you found good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

When I have my wheels freshly sealed I would only normally use a solution of car shampoo and water.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr Detail

If your looking for something with more grunt it will likely shift your wheel sealant?

What exactly is on the wheels that wont shift with regular cleaning?

I use a couple of different things, least aggresive first.

Basic ph neutral shampoo
    Light mix of citrus cleaner or apc
    Chemical guys wheel cleaner
    Concept fall out remover
    Car pro iron x or

I think cg wheel cleaner is a good all rounder as it can be duted diffefent strengths.

In most cases at work I end up fully cleaning and strippig wheels and they mostly need iron x as not taken care of. On my own car its usually just a shampoo and ez wheel brush. When I de-tar the car, I usually do wheels and iron remover on them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Sorry. Maybe I didn't quite explain what I meant properly. Some of the cars at home regularly do 5000km+ between basic washes. I'm looking for a wheel cleaner that will remove more of the black "loose" break dust (i.e. not the bonded stuff you need an iron cleaner for) more easily than wheel cleanse does. I don't want to use Iron cleanse every time because that really strips everything off the wheels and it's not worth the effort to strip and re apply every time. I'm leaning towards CG Diablo get at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel is very good. It contains some fallout remover in it, so keeps on top of the iron contamination that you'd usually pick up over time. Metz is a fan of it!

Curran wrote: »
    Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel is very good. It contains some fallout remover in it, so keeps on top of the iron contamination that you'd usually pick up over time. Metz is a fan of it!

2 mins too late :P Just ordered Diablo gel off you there :D

• Advertisement

Want me to swap it for Bilt Hamber? No extra, or administration fees! :P

THe site says its out of stock though:confused:

Very kind of you:). What would you do in my position..:P

Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel is showing Out of Stock?? Not for me! :confused:

What would I do - I'll surprise ya! :D Not used Diablo, but I'd go for the Auto Wheel! ;)

Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel is showing Out of Stock?? Not for me! :confused:

What would I do - I'll surprise ya! :D Not used Diablo, but I'd go for the Auto Wheel! ;)

Yep you're right! I made the embarrassing mistake of looking at clean car by accident.:o Please don't beat me too hard for ordering a few bits from the competition :o:o:D

Hmmm decisions decisions… You've sold me on the auto wheel I think. Let me pay you the difference though!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr Detail

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Sorry. Maybe I didn't quite explain what I meant properly. Some of the cars at home regularly do 5000km+ between basic washes. I'm looking for a wheel cleaner that will remove more of the black "loose" break dust (i.e. not the bonded stuff you need an iron cleaner for) more easily than wheel cleanse does. I don't want to use Iron cleanse every time because that really strips everything off the wheels and it's not worth the effort to strip and re apply every time. I'm leaning towards CG Diablo get at the moment...

Thats why I listed the less aggresive methods which I use, I rarely see any brake dust actually stuck over a decent wheel seala t and I use cg one.

Always shifts with just a shampoo, brush and wheel mitt

• Advertisement

Please don't beat me too hard for ordering a few bits from the competition :o:o:D

Hmmm decisions decisions… You've sold me on the auto wheel I think. Let me pay you the difference though!:)

A bit of competition never hurt anyone....I dont get my knickers in a twist over it! ;)

Good job you were sold on it...threw in the Auto Wheels, sealed and gone for delivery already! :P Will have your bits tomorrow! ;) No, wont have you paying the few quid difference...think of it as a wee discount! :)

A bit of competition never hurt anyone....I dont get my knickers in a twist over it! ;)

Good job you were sold on it...threw in the Auto Wheels, sealed and gone for delivery already! :P Will have your bits tomorrow! ;) No, wont have you paying the few quid difference...think of it as a wee discount! :)

Keeping me sweet so I don't stray too far to the competition :p

Now that's proper quick service! Cheers Dave :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Don't be a clown DZ, get BH Auto Wheel. It's an active wheel cleaner meaning you don't need to scrub or rub and it also has their iron cleanser in it.

All you do is spray it on, wait 2 - 3 minutes and power wash off. No scratches, no scrubbing nothing but lovely, clean wheels.

Best thing to do in order to ensure that AutoWheel works to the best of its abilities is do a full wheel detail and seal with CG wheel guard followed by a coat or 2 of Collinite 845. The Auto wheel is Ph neutral and I've proven it to myself when I did my last wheel detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

Sorry to hijack, but I supaguarded the wheels on one of the cars recently and have since cleaned them with Autoglym wheel cleaner. Is this likely to have stripped them?

Don't be a clown DZ, get BH Auto Wheel. It's an active wheel cleaner meaning you don't need to scrub or rub and it also has their iron cleanser in it.

All you do is spray it on, wait 2 - 3 minutes and power wash off. No scratches, no scrubbing nothing but lovely, clean wheels.

Best thing to do in order to ensure that AutoWheel works to the best of its abilities is do a full wheel detail and seal with CG wheel guard followed by a coat or 2 of Collinite 845. The Auto wheel is Ph neutral and I've proven it to myself when I did my last wheel detail.

I basically didn't get a choice, that's what curran decided to send my :p Looking forward to trying it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Showing out of stock for me too.

mkdw5h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Showing in stock for me.

Hal1 wrote: »
    Showing out of stock for me too.

mkdw5h.jpg

You're on the wrong site :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

:opps

I basically didn't get a choice, that's what curran decided to send my :p Looking forward to trying it now :)

Good, he listened to me. He hasn't a clue about detailing otherwise :pac:

• Advertisement

Its true! :)
    So in future, direct all the PMs to Metz! ;)

Its true! :)
    So in future, direct all the PMs to Metz! ;)

I'll gladly accept them......for a percentage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Plane

What wheel sealant do you lads recommend?
    I have poor boys wheel sealant but I always found it not to have great long term protection. For winter I'd like something to last a lot longer.

You'll need to loom at something in the nano sealant form. Wolf's Chemicals Rim Shield, gtechniq C5 Wheel Armor, etc

I know someone who's used the gtechniq and says its excellent. But a tiny bottle with one coating??? Is pretty expensive. If it's worth it I'd go for it. Just got the wheels powder coated and the cars being painted so I'm all keen at the moment!!!!

I'll gladly accept them......for a percentage :D

Unfortunately there is no payment for answering a PM! :P

Wolf's Rim Shield is 3 times the volume for slightly less.
    Well worth it for the durability and ease of cleaning...you'll just need regular shampoo to wash them.
    Also worth considering buying a good wheel brush if the wheels are refurb'd. There are lots on thw market that get the job done but at the cost of lightly scratching the surface.

Might try the wolfs so. Sounds good to me. I'll contact you to see what days your in work next week.

I have a few brushes last one I got was the GO EZ detail brush.
    It's good but the stem is just too thick to get the wheel barrell with the brakes on the front wheels an even the rears. It's good for the outer side alright but more often than not I'm grabbing my old trusty vikan brush which I've had for years but haven't found anything better.
    I know the wheels willies are supposed to be great but my wheels would be heavily soiled in winter especially as I live in the country.

Any recommendations for a brush? My car has BBS CH's. Wife's are 5 spokes so the big EZ GO works with the vikan brush.

Now that's proper fast service :D. It arrived this morning when I was still in westport.

I got a few other bits and pieces. Had to get new buckets because my sister decided to store stones and soil in my old ones :rolleyes:

34A2DE8511914D42BFA21670A94E5875-0000363222-0003653576-01024L-F6D9DD50E8DC4E079406F3856D6B5F60.jpg

• Advertisement

The Wheel Wollies set are superb...even for heavy soiling, mild concentration wheel cleaner, hose off, repeat if necessary and the a light agitation with them and the jobs a good one.

The bristles on the Vikans are very aggressive too! The EZ Detail brush isnt too bad if it suits the wheels.
    Good thing about the Wheel Woolies is the set of 3 brush sizes, so will suit most wheels and if you're a wheel wh*re theres no problems! :D :P

Advertisement