Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1500 to spend

Options
  • 27-08-2014 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

I know it's been done to death but can you pick up a nice carbon bike for around €1500?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Imposter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

The fun must have completely gone from doing your own research.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Imposter!

In fairness, he was here first.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Cube Reaction range might be an option, but they are a little above that. Unless you find 2014 or 2013 model

• Registered Users Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭DenMan

ror_74 wrote: »
    The fun must have completely gone from doing your own research.

That's the kind of response that turns would be cyclists into motor bike/car drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

You can check the online offers etc and get some carbon bikes in that range. People here often suggest rose & planet x as value brands. Can't comment in particular myself as haven't had any of these bikes.
    But you should do a bit of footwork to a few local bikeshops, and can often see discounted models to make way for 2015 stock. I know you'll pay a bit more, but should get good advice re sizing etc and what model would best suit your needs (although I have seen one or two examples of shops selling wrong sized bikes to unwitting purchasers - obviously ones they wanted to clear from their floor)
    It also pays to build up a relationship with a good LBS. Not everything can be reduced to pounds, shillings & pence.
    But you should read up a bit first - familiarise yourself with groupset hierarchies (Claris, sora, tiagra, 105 & upwards for Shimano - Suggest go for 10 speed tiagra at least) and what your sizing would be.
    Also wheels - most bikes in that range will come with stock wheels, which can be upgraded if (when) you get upgraditis. But sometimes can get better wheelsets on new models (eg aksiums).
    You can get a very decent bike second hand for that money or less, but would need to be a bit confident / familiar with spec / models etc, but if using BTW that's not an option.
    So far, all my roadbikes (3) have been bought second hand, and its a learning experience, but I'm happy with it nonetheless.
    Edit - don't forget you'll need a bit of gear, clothes, shoes, helmet etc - keep a bit of your budget for that.
    Sorry - just realised that I'm assuming you're a cycling newbie, but may have assumed wrongly. If you give more details of your experience, fitness levels, expectations etc you may get more specific advice. Your initial post is such a general one-liner that it's hard for the experienced heads here to know where to start advising.

kinetic wrote: »
    I know it's been done to death but can you pick up a nice carbon bike for around €1500?

Thanks.

Being serious now, Cube Agree Pro was released today and is full carbon for 1300.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Are you looking for a new bike or are you willing to go second hand. There is great value in used bikes and you will realistically get a €2.5k - €3k bike a couple of years old in top condition for the money you are willing to spend.

If you are set on a new bike or buying on the BTW scheme then you should look at some of the other threads here for advise on the best available for the money. A new carbon bike for €1500 will be lower end and may carry inferior components against a top quality aluminium bike. So take time to figure out what you need against what you might want.

If you are set on carbon, while I know Halfords get bad press, the Boardman Carbons are hard to beat for value and carry 105 or better components generally. I have a 2012 Team Carbon and I can't fault it in my limited knowledge. Guys I cycle with who know their stuff also say they are as good as other makes €500-€600 more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

Being serious now, Cube Agree Pro was released today and is full carbon for 1300.

Whe did you see that? Thanks

kinetic wrote: »
    Whe did you see that? Thanks

Prices don't appear to be up anywhere that I found today but when I popped by my local bike shop to preorder, they told me the price and I jumped at it.

Here's the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Prices don't appear to be up anywhere that I found today but when I popped by my local bike shop to preorder, they told me the price and I jumped at it.

Here's the bike.

That's a lot of bike for that money.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Here's the bike.

Nice, I bought a similar specced Felt for the same price and I'm delighted with it, that Cube has better wheels though.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

Here's the bike.

Looks nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Agree with Buzwaldo that you need to be a bit more specific about how you intend using the bike. Commuting, fitness training, sportifs, racing? A significant factor is how flexible you are and whether you can live with low racing geometry or prefer something more relaxed. Most of the main manufacturers do both ranges with broadly similar specs and prices.
    When checking out makes, include Canyon and Ribble once you are reasonably sure what size you need.

Advertisement