Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice - trouble getting deposit back

Options
  • 27-08-2014 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi, I'm having some problems getting my deposit back from my letting agent, I moved out 2 weeks ago and went to give the keys to the letting agent and he told me 'I'll give you a call about getting your deposit back when I've been round to check it'. The next day I realised I had left 2 skylight windows open, I emailed him and apologised and said I thought I should let him know straight away so he could close them due to rain. The letting agents office is less than 5 minutes walk from the apartment. 2 days later I was walking past and noticed that the windows were still open.
    A week later I still hadn't heard from he regarding the deposit so I emailed and asked and he replied: 'Cleaners went over yesterday as the floors and seat were all saturated with rain water will call you later'. I explained well yes thats why I told you about it but 2 days later they were still open...and I haven't heard anything back from him, that was last Tuesday.
    Obviously I do take some of the responsibility as it was me who left the windows open, but I let him know pretty much straight away and he didn't do anything about it, I had already given my keys back so it was out of my hands so surely he's just as much to blame and can't make me pay for the whole cleaning bill?
    Anyone have any advice what I can do about this? I've been emailing him but he hasn't replied, I'm going to call him but I'm not sure what to say if he refuses to give me back my deposit as I don't know what my rights would be on this.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I would've made sure to call since it was an urgent issue, however email was likely your main method of contact with the letting agent. If he refuses to return it, ask for receipts. If the receipts aren't provided or are dubious open a case with the PRTB.

Advertisement