Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elliptical Cross Training whilst injured (Marathon)

Options
  • 27-08-2014 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hello

Presently side-lined with a persistent Achilles tendonitis issue that just won’t go away. Was tipping away nicely for DCM2014. But now I am off the road/treadmill for at least two week!!
    Has anyone any experience/plans of using an Elliptical Cross Trainer to supplement/replicate the training that would be necessary at this stage of a marathon plan. I have ran Waterford and was on HH 16 week plan for DCM and I have got up to 18 miles on the LSR
    Many thanks
    MacSwifty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

I did some elliptical cross training (once a week for 30 minutes) as part of my training from my first marathon last April.

For my part it got my heart going and hut my legs plenty too but it really depends at the climb rate setting and the resistance you set it at. I set mine at 20% (the max) and 13 resistance for 30 minutes and reversing the movement of my legs every 7:30. At that rate I was exhausted after 30 minutes.

You may wish to go easier but longer if you don't find it too boring. Some machines have programmes too for variety.

I don't quite think you can replicate an LSRs but for steady runs of 1 hour or fast runs of 30 minutes the elliptical could help.

It beats doing nothing at any rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

MacSwifty wrote: »
    Hello

Presently side-lined with a persistent Achilles tendonitis issue that just won’t go away. Was tipping away nicely for DCM2014. But now I am off the road/treadmill for at least two week!!
    Has anyone any experience/plans of using an Elliptical Cross Trainer to supplement/replicate the training that would be necessary at this stage of a marathon plan. I have ran Waterford and was on HH 16 week plan for DCM and I have got up to 18 miles on the LSR
    Many thanks
    MacSwifty

I was out with achilles tendinopathy for three weeks in june / july. Joined a gym for a month and spent every second day alternating doing 45 mins on cross trainer at 75% of Max hr reversing the direction every 10 mins with cycling on turbotrainer for 1hr at 65-75% max hr. I also started doing heel lifts to strengthen calves. 1 second up two seconds down x 50 twice a day - moving to heel drops on the stairs when I could comfortably do the sets of 50.
    On returning I found that my legs actually felt a bit stronger but the running lungs took about ten days to return (i.e feeling comfortable at the tempo pace I was used to pre-injury).
    Only now am I starting to see a decrease in pain / stiffness whilst running and when getting out of bed in the morning.
    I also changed my runners to a pair with a soft heel with no rigid heel counter. I have found that the pain comes back whenever I do speed work or on a long run when your body tires towards the end and technique gets a bit raggedy so its a balancing act between getting the sessions done and trying to stay injury free. I am only training for 10ks up to HM so am probably not putting in as much miles as you.
    Personally, if it was me I would forget about the marathon, do the rehab supplemented with x training, get to the point where you can go on a short run and enjoy it - which is a rare and wonderful thing when you have achilles issues. You could build it up from there. Thats just my experiences and opinion anyway FWIW.
    P.S.
    Dont do like me and neglect the exercises until the injury comes back on its yearly cycle!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

Cheers for the replies so far - some good info/advice there - I am in a gym and it was the facing into 2.5 hours this weekend on the trainer that may have been no benefit was wrecking my head - Anyways I shall continue
    Thanks again - I will keep ye posted

MacSwifty

Advertisement