Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WP app - mapmyrun not recording accurately

Options
  • 27-08-2014 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is right place to post this. Admin, please move if there is a better forum.

This morning I used mapmyrun for the first time. I've a Windows phone so there is no app for mapmywalk so downloaded mapmyrun instead. I know the walk I did was about three miles but mapmyrun recorded it as 4.84 miles. It added in some spurs to my walk. I see that I can go in and edit my walk and remove the extra bits, but is there a way to prevent that happening in the first place?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

To be honest I've found the mapmy* apps for WP to be pretty terrible. The last time I used them you couldn't do anything on your phone or they'd stop recording. Couldn't read a text, or answer a call etc.

I'd recommend Run The Map as an activity tracking app. It's the best one I've used.

Allows you to save your data as a gpx file and you can upload that to the mapmywalk site if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭leck

awec wrote: »
    To be honest I've found the mapmy* apps for WP to be pretty terrible. The last time I used them you couldn't do anything on your phone or they'd stop recording. Couldn't read a text, or answer a call etc.

I'd recommend Run The Map as an activity tracking app. It's the best one I've used.

Allows you to save your data as a gpx file and you can upload that to the mapmywalk site if you want.
    I'll give it another few days before trying another one. I don't have data on my phone, so I got a Communication Problem message each time that I accessed the app. But it still worked apart from the extra bits it added to my walk.

I read a text and replied to a text while walking and running the app in the background. But I had to be careful each time I pulled out the phone not to hit the Stop button in the middle of the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Where did you have the phone while you walked? I've noticed sometimes the path I get from Runtastic can be very inconsistent, with squiggles and spurs as you've seen. If the phone is in my bag its not great.

Also recommend Runtastic over mapmyrun. I've used both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭leck

Ranjo wrote: »
    Where did you have the phone while you walked? I've noticed sometimes the path I get from Runtastic can be very inconsistent, with squiggles and spurs as you've seen. If the phone is in my bag its not great.

Also recommend Runtastic over mapmyrun. I've used both.
    I didn't have too many squiggle, mostly it was a long straight spur, but that alone added two miles. I carried the phone at first but was afraid that I would hit the stop button so then transferred it to a small bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

The app should still run when the screen is locked. Don't worry about accidentally pressing anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement