Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tissot powermatic

Options
  • 27-08-2014 1:32pm

Hi,

Anyone know much about the tissot powermatic 80??. Paid over 500 euro for one at xmas and has been loosing time ever since. brought it back to the shop and six weeks later, still no watch!! they have said it will be repaired but in a feww weeks time.
    Im thinking of taking my money and getting another watch. anyone had experience on this? it's a lovely watch though, very classy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

In my experience 6 weeks - 2 months is about the quickest you can possibly expect to get a watch back from the manufacturer's repair shop. I once waited this long for a battery replacement and reseal on a Tissot, and a service and a replacement clasp on an Oris last year took over 4 months!

In your case, regulating the watch to COSC specs will be quite a lengthy process (out of interest, how much was it losing?), so I wouldn't give up on it just yet. The powermatics are nice looking and quite impressive specs - COSC certified and 80 hour power reserve. Tissot claim its a completely new movement but it looks like a 2824 with an uprated spring barrel and regulator.

Anjobe wrote: »
    In my experience 6 weeks - 2 months is about the quickest you can possibly expect to get a watch back from the manufacturer's repair shop. I once waited this long for a battery replacement and reseal on a Tissot, and a service and a replacement clasp on an Oris last year took over 4 months!

In your case, regulating the watch to COSC specs will be quite a lengthy process (out of interest, how much was it losing?), so I wouldn't give up on it just yet. The powermatics are nice looking and quite impressive specs - COSC certified and 80 hour power reserve. Tissot claim its a completely new movement but it looks like a 2824 with an uprated spring barrel and regulator.

ahem, ok, if you say so, Im quite ignorant tot he whole process but expected a quicker turnaround. thanks for the reply. you seem to know your stuff so can I ask, do they have to be wound every day irrespective of when or how often it's on the wrist?

I would wind the watch 30 times, then put it on friday/sat/sunday. I wouldnt wear it to work or it would get wrecked, I have a G shock for that. So by monday night into tuesday say it's totally stopped! any help would be great and yes I agree, lovely watch.
    I was flirting with getting an Oris equis Blue, do you have any opinion on these?

once again, thanks for the help.

The Powermatic 80 has a power reserve of 80 hours once it has been fully wound, so you should be able to leave it off the wrist for 3 full days and it should still be running. Depending on how active you are when wearing the watch it may not remain fully wound when on your wrist though.

I like the Oris Aquis, but Oris do have a bit of a reputation for variable reliability. Of the 2 Oris watches that I own one (TT1) has worked perfectly for over 10 years with very regular use. The other is a dressier watch (Artelier WorldTimer) that I only wear occassionally, but it has been quite fragile. It is currently on its 3rd trip back to Oris (in 7 years) as the crown stem broke 6 months after I got it back from the service that I mentioned before.

The Powermatic 80 has a power reserve of 80 hours once it has been fully wound, so you should be able to leave it off the wrist for 3 full days and it should still be running. Depending on how active you are when wearing the watch it may not remain fully wound when on your wrist though.

I like the Oris Aquis, but Oris do have a bit of a reputation for variable reliability. Of the 2 Oris watches that I own one (TT1) has worked perfectly for over 10 years with very regular use. The other is a dressier watch (Artelier WorldTimer) that I only wear occassionally, but it has been quite fragile. It is currently on its 3rd trip back to Oris (in 7 years) as the crown stem broke 6 months after I got it back from the service that I mentioned before.

ok that answers question one. I had looked on line and read many had taken issue with the powermatic feature which simply wasn't delivering. many reported just 24 hours before the watch stopped once it was removed from the wrist. I read on one thread that it must be wound a full 360 degrees, 50 times, which is a bit much though no great problem.
    I tried this and wore the watch on a stags weekend for 3 days. home monday, watch back in case monday evening, watch stopped a day later.

I like the oris but they're quite bulky, I'll consider it. So was I being unreasonable with the seller? I demanded a new watch, I'll have it next week I'm told. I dont see how this is different from any other sale.I bought a product, it's not fit for purpose so I return it and they have 28 days to repair or replace the watch. 4 months for an oris?? me thinks there's an air of snobbery afoot here with the manufacturers no?

I wasn't happy waiting 4 months, I have to say. And when it broke again after 6 months I was spitting feathers. The service involved a crown and stem replacement and comes with a 12 month warranty though, so at least the latest repair should be at no cost.

• Advertisement

I wasn't happy waiting 4 months, I have to say. And when it broke again after 6 months I was spitting feathers. The service involved a crown and stem replacement and comes with a 12 month warranty though, so at least the latest repair should be at no cost.

yeah, ive just been looking at them on line, nice watches. I like the blue look.

Advertisement