Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn is coming

Options
  • 27-08-2014 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭

The leaves started to drop off the Birch yesterday and I noticed the Alder are dropping a few too. Sycamore leaves beginning to brown at the bottom of the crowns and Hawthorn looking a bit thin.

Looks like a good year for conkers and Beech is covered in nuts. Ash and Sycamore looks plentiful too, along with an abundance of Hazel nuts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Agree, but to me, sycamore is a pest/weed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

It is a so called non-native tree and quickly takes over an area if not stopped, and in that context can be considered a weed. It's seedlings open up very early in the year with very large leaves and supress native flora. Mature trees can really block out the light too, with the abundant large and wide leaves, again supressing slower growing and later opening native flora. The abundant seeds seem to readily germinate too.

But it must be said that a mature open grown Sycamore is a splendid sight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's been a mast year for the birch in our back garden - the garden is carpeted with seeds. our neighbours must love us.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 quizalot

Hi OldTree and others!
    are you quoting your observations from the West of Ireland or the East?
    I was in France this week and the trees there were looking a bit battered too. From the season, not the wind.

And despite loving (and having to love native trees) my favourite tree might just be sycamore. Shame it isn't native!

Do you know why some downey birch I set (in t-slits in peaty ground) are not thriving- while some are?
    The bad ones have yellow or brown colours while adjacent ones are doing well.

All the alder I set are thriving. Gotta love alder for their blue collared attitude and not being too proud to grow where few would go...

Q

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭rje66

On the plus side sycamore are a great source offood for honey beesðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
Advertisement