Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good routes for beginner

Options
  • 27-08-2014 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all

Just bought my first road bike and am looking for some suggestions for good routes I can take to get me going.
    Have a good level of fitness, I spin and run regularly so am up for a bit of a challenge.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 oduil2010

sorry yeah ... I'm in walkinstown so based around south Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It depends on how far you want to go. A popular route is to head out the N81 to Blessington. Just after Brittas go left through Manor Kilbride and onto Blessington - that keeps you off the main road which can be monotonous. If you're up to further distance, you could carry on around the Blessington Lakes. If you went to Blessington and back from Walkinstown that would be about 55km and if you went around the Lakes it would come in at around 80km.

If you want to climb some hills, you could head up Sally Gap either from Manor Kilbride or do it the tougher way and go up Kilakee. That would be around 60km.

If you want to avoid hills then maybe have a look at heading out Newcastle, Clane, Sallins and that neck of the woods. It's a lot flatter than Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 oduil2010

Thanks crosstownk , i had been thinking blessington.... i'll give that a go..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

oduil2010 wrote: »
    Hi all

Just bought my first road bike and am looking for some suggestions for good routes I can take to get me going.
    Have a good level of fitness, I spin and run regularly so am up for a bit of a challenge.

Thanks in advance
    if you fancy fairly flat, head into co. kildare over through lucan >leixlip>kilcock>summerhill(co, meath)>dunboyne> leixlip>lucan & home approx 60-70kms. bar one climb between kilcock & summerhill its pretty flat, plus you will pass the best named pub I have ever come across!

happy trails

• Advertisement
Advertisement