Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is rev matching necessary?

Options
  • 27-08-2014 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

I'm just learning to drive and starting to get the hang of gear changes, sometimes though when I'm changing down in gear the car 'jumps' a little. Is this just because I haven't slowed down enough for the lower gear? Do I need to bother with rev matching? The steps I follow are

Changing up
    1. foot fully off accelerator
    2. press clutch fully down
    3. change gear
    4. foot off clutch
    5. back on accelerator

Changing down
    • start to brake
    • with foot still on brake, press clutch fully in
    • change down gear
    • come off clutch and brake
    • accelerate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

robocode wrote: »
    I'm just learning to drive and starting to get the hang of gear changes, sometimes though when I'm changing down in gear the car 'jumps' a little. Is this just because I haven't slowed down enough for the lower gear? Do I need to bother with rev matching? The steps I follow are

Changing up
    1. foot fully off accelerator
    2. press clutch fully down
    3. change gear
    4. foot off clutch
    5. back on accelerator

Changing down
    • start to brake
    • with foot still on brake, press clutch fully in
    • change down gear
    • come off clutch and brake
    • accelerate

It's a case of practice makes perfect unfortunately. There'll come a point where you'll do it instinctively.

Best tip is not too think too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Don't bother with even trying rev matching until you're after your test anyway. It's debatable if it's of any benefit in a cost-of-new-clutch vs. extra fuel way.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

You're probably going a bit too slow for the gear you're changing down too. I'd recommend a bit slower with the clutch to avoid the jump and find out what gear goes with what speed in your car

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I rev match when I downshift. But that being said I probably would leave that skill for after your test. Just being extra gentle of the clutch on downshift should be enough to stop the jumpiness.

Advertisement