Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Berlingo

Options
  • 27-08-2014 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Anyone know is it true that the 2 litre diesel berlingo is a better van than the 1.6 litre one?
    I was told u can get a lot of trouble from the 1.6.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

sugna wrote: »
    Anyone know is it true that the 2 litre diesel berlingo is a better van than the 1.6 litre one?
    I was told u can get a lot of trouble from the 1.6.

Yus. The 2.0hdi's are nippy and reliable. The 1.6s are just nippy, in several senses of the word. I believe the word in the trade for the 1.6 engine is that it is "plastic". Someone will be on in a minute to say how wrong I am. Despite the fact I'm not...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Yup. I was a Peugeot salesman when the 1.6 was launched. Greatest thing ever until the warranty work started.

The 2.0 was far superior but a lot rarer. If you can live without the turbo, the old 1.9 will run forever. I've seen plenty with over 500k miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Iv had a 07 berlingo. The 1.6 engine isn't the only problem. There built crap and have a lot of simple things wrong that make them annoying to own.

Had one for 2 years. Delighted to be rid of it.

Get a combi for caddy.

Done 2k miles a week in a caddy and I quite liked it. I can understand why there dearer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

+1 on the caddy far better van in all respects. Well the 05 model on one. They are a bit more to buy but way nicer to drive. Whatever you do don't get a 1.6hdi anything I'd even prefer an sdi caddy to a 1.6hdi berlingo probably nearly as quick but 1.9tdi 105bhp caddy is the one to go for out of all the small vans on the market well IMO anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

the axles wear too in those berlingos, the 2.0 hdi is probably more reliable than the 1.6 but the 2.0 isn't immune from issues either. Some can suffer from hg issues at high mileage.

The caddy is a very good van, its well ahead of the berlingo Imo but they are more expensive to buy, still they are probably well worth the extra at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Caddys, exhausts, injectors, high pressure pumps, injector looms, turbo's, front wheelbearings, diffs, gear selector mechanisms, wishbone bushes crank sensor and loom, stripped teeth on timing belt. Thats all that I can think of that I have done to my own 06 Caddy, and they're not isolated incidents as we see customer vehicles with the same issues, they are the most overrated and overpriced vans on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Caddys, exhausts, injectors, high pressure pumps, injector looms, turbo's, front wheelbearings, diffs, gear selector mechanisms, wishbone bushes crank sensor and loom, stripped teeth on timing belt. Thats all that I can think of that I have done to my own 06 Caddy, and they're not isolated incidents as we see customer vehicles with the same issues, they are the most overrated and overpriced vans on the market.

Funny that, I know many people who owns a caddy and none of them have given any bother like you mention above, well apart from the bushes up front which are a wearable item.

Now I'm not saying caddy's are bullet proof but they don't give that much bother and they certainly are better than the French offering in my view.

Sorry but your van sounds like an awful unmaintained heap . stripped teeth on the timing belt just confirms this. If it was changed on time it wouldn't of stripped it's teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

It is very well maintained as it's my own van and parts don't cost me anything to replace other than my time, it stripped teeth on the belt because the turbo went and the engine over revved on its own oil. These aren't isolated incidents we regularly get customers vans in with similar issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

have a 1.9 standard engined berlingo, in 200,000 kms it had an alternator fail that stranded me thats it!

but i do service it regularly, with good maintenance i reckon i'll get another 200 thou out of her, hope i don't have to ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Funny that, I know many people who owns a caddy and none of them have given any bother like you mention above, well apart from the bushes up front which are a wearable item.

Now I'm not saying caddy's are bullet proof but they don't give that much bother and they certainly are better than the French offering in my view.

Sorry but your van sounds like an awful unmaintained heap . stripped teeth on the timing belt just confirms this. If it was changed on time it wouldn't of stripped it's teeth.

+1 the place I work have had loads of caddys through the year still have a few 05 200-250k miles and there lucky if they see a service once a year that could be 30k miles. They get absolutely dogged and cause next to no trouble. As for berlingo anyone I know who had a 1.9d with over 100k miles has had a head gasket done. My grandad has a 08 one and it needs work done to the rear axle. I really the caddy is a better bet as you say.

• Advertisement

Iv had both and there's not a hope I'd get another berlingo.

I had a Sdi and a tdi caddy.

I'd avoid the sdi as it's slow.

I rallyed a caddy doing 2k miles a week for months and never a bother

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

Brother had 2 1.6hdi Berlingo's on courier work - Light loads but big distances. both were 11 reg.. Nothing but trouble even though they were meticulously maintained. He has traded them for 2 new Caddy's.

Seem to be better built and finished. He paid about 25% more but considering the trouble he had he is willing to live with that !

Watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

What about a transit connect 1.8d. Probably more reliable that both mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭David09

David09 wrote: »

Ok reliability. Ok power and makes Russian tanks look good on diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭sugna

Thanks guys, anyone recommed what type of engine oil to put into the 1.9 Berlingo? I was told that North Sea Oil C2 5/W 30 is probably one of the best. By reading the posts looks like I made a mistake on buying a Berlingo & shoukd have got a Caddy.

Advertisement