Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chainset help

Options
  • 27-08-2014 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a new bike (castello stelvio) and it has a standard 42/52 Chainset and I find it very hard going uphill. So I would like to change it to a compact which I think is a 35/50 Chainset.

I was wondering could I change to any compact or does it need to be a certain type and if I were to change it would I have to change the shifters, cassette,or any other components.

I was also wondering if you can change just the inner ring.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 835 ✭✭✭countrykid

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    I recently bought a new bike (castello stelvio) and it has a standard 42/52 Chainset and I find it very hard going uphill. So I would like to change it to a compact which I think is a 35/50 Chainset.

I was wondering could I change to any compact or does it need to be a certain type and if I were to change it would I have to change the shifters, cassette,or any other components.

I was also wondering if you can change just the inner ring.

A 52/42 was the standard 20 years ago!
    More modern standard is 53/39
    A compact is 50/34
    You will only need to change the chain set ....
    It is also possible to change inner ring...
    Find the BCD which is the diameter between bolts... Most likely 130
    Minimum ring size for a 130 BCD is 38 NOT 34 as you'd like

Most shops sell spurious replacements such as BBB , strong light or TA

E bay also will sort you out cheaply

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Ok thanks. I will get the measurements and post them up. If any one could offer Suggestions on which ones to get it would be helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I have Shimano mid compact 52/36 and find that ideal for cycling in Ireland.

Advertisement