Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

engagement gift

Options
  • 26-08-2014 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

I need ideas on engagement gifts??what do people want?i wanted to get a canvas type sign done with specific dates on it but no one in ireland seems to do them.i saw them on etsy but they only seem to be in the us.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Kitchen wares and good wines seem to be popular. I wouldn't give a very expensive engagement gift, unless you can afford it as you'll probably be spending enough on a wedding gift thereafter.
    If you want a canvas sign, you can always design it yourself in gimp or something like that and get it printed on a canvas at any of the many shops or online stores that do photo canvas prints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I usually give wine, or a basket of beer if they prefer beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Most common things we got were either bottles of champagne or proseco and picture frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭Milly33

Do you have a pic of the sign you wanted if you could show it maybe we could help see if there is somewhere in Ireland..

I never though of engagement pressies but when we got them I must say the top ones were a loverly set of Nicholas Mosse bowls, love them didn't even know who he was.. And we got two loverly candle stick holders that im planning to use in the ceremony..

That and a gift card for a restaurant so we could go out and enjoy ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

We got so many candle sticks/holders, that I could start a church from my house.

We also got a lovely Vera Wang cake cutter set. We rarely have nice cakes in our house (waistline issues....) but when we do, it's lovely to use the set.

A voucher for a nice restaurant would be lovely. The couple will probably be saving for the next year or so, so being able to go out for a nice meal would be much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

We got meal vouchers for our favourite restaurant, a lovely jewellery box, Yankee candles, a wedding planner, some cards with money. People were so generous, we didn't expect anything at all!

was surprised too by all the gifts very sweet and nice to get them..

Did you have an engagement party?

mmm if that was for me which haha of course it must have been. Only messing sorry band on the wedding planning lately so im full of a lot of waffle :) ... Us we didn't have a party just a few of my mums friends and then neighbours and our own close friends gave us gifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ladybird37

Hi OP,
    Check out the site prints 4 gifts.com. I recently got a present for my friends christening and they have some lovely prints that can be customized with dates and peoples names. Might be what you're looking for.

• Advertisement

Hi Milly, yes, was just wondering because we found among our friends the people who generally get a lot of engagement presents are ones that had an engagement party. Otherwise, it's less likely people feel compelled to get you something.
    We didn't have a party and got a couple of gifts, but nowhere near what other people seem to have mentioned. We were very much surprised as we wouldn't have given engagement gifts ourselves, but everything we got was from older family members. We feel the wedding is the important event and is when we give something to the couples. We've gone to engagement parties and given wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

We didn't have a party, got a small amount of gifts though, mostly from older family members of family friends. I also didn't expect anything, but my Mam said it was a bigger deal years ago. For engagement you'd get "bottom drawer" gifts, small things for the house you're going to move into when you are married.

We had just moved into a new house when we got engaged so these kind of things were perfect for us, cutlery, wine glasses, towels, candles, garden furniture and such! Great for us!

If the couple are set up in the house for years, I think a meal voucher would be great, if you can't think of anything they might need.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

sooooo many picture frames

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

We had an engagement party. And I was genuinely surprised by how many presents we got! I honest to god didnt think people would get us gifts! I really thought that was more for he wedding. But anyways, we got sooo many picture frames and sets of wine glasses and candle sticks. I mean, we were delighted as I said we didn't expect anything!

Advertisement