Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

WTB: 10W60 fully synthetic Mobile1 oil (1L)

Options
  • 26-08-2014 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I tried Halfords, Ashgrove Autoparts, Ford and Nissan garages, petrol stations (4 different chains), no luck. micksgarage.com has Castrol, so I might buy that, but I'd prefer to match what I have in the car already.
    I'm around south Dublin or north Wicklow.

tia
    t.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Did you try a motor factors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Unusual oil weight 10w60 what car is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Presume you mean Mobil 1 ?

Have to say I never heard of 10W-60, but I know less than everything and more than nothing.

Mobil 1 is available in 15W-50, though.

Just be sure you buy/use a manufacturer-specified oil. You say you are looking for one litre, so presumably it is for a top-up? If this is the case, you do not have to use the same brand, as long as it meets the required specification.

In extremis, though, any 'close to spec' oil is loads better than not enough of the real thing -i.e. if below (or sometimes at) minimum and no specified oil is available and you have to keep driving, the best thing to do is to top up with the next best oil. If necessary, change the oil as soon as practicable.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Try southside motor factors they might have it. I know they have 10w60 in millers triple ester and nanotech, think it's €55 for the triple ester for 5 litres

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭trurl

Thanks everybody for the suggestions, this is the product (in 5l version):
    http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/car-engine-oil/mobil-1-extended-life-motorsport-10w60-5l

@toyotaavensis, dgt: they only have Castrol.

@visual: Coupe Fiat 20VT6

@Esel: yes, sorry for the typo, Mobil 1. I have an unopened can of Selenia 10w60 at home from my Alfa 166 years (that 3l V6 engine didn't drink any oil between annual services), but it's semi-synthetic, and I was told it's "more OK" to top it up with 15w50 fully synthetic than 10w60 but semi-synthetic. I might bite the bullet and get the 5l of the Mobil 1 from Carrickmines and use it over the next 2-3 years, sure it won't go off?

p.s. there is a 1l bottle available in Coolock, but that's too far from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Weird, that! Mobil's own site does not show Mobil 1 15W-60.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

trurl wrote: »
    use it over the next 2-3 years, sure it won't go off?

p.s. there is a 1l bottle available in Coolock, but that's too far from here.
    Would you not use it during servicing rather than keeping the same bottle for years?
    I know its longlife oil but 2-3 years seems a bit long between servicing!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭trurl

@CJhaughey: I don't service my cars, I just drive them... :) When I get the annual/10k service done, I trust my mechanic to do the oil change himself. Anyway, I just bought the 5l can to top it up, to be on the safe side.

@Esel: I found the 10w60 here: http://www.mobil1.co.uk/synthetic-engine-oils/extended-life-10w-60.aspx

The 10w60 oil was suggested by Coupe Fiat forum, but I think it's too thin tbh, almost 2l top up over 2400 miles seems a bit too much, even for a 15 years old Sunday car.

Advertisement