Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who gave Donal Skehan a TV show?

Options
  • 26-08-2014 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Not only does he as a person annoy me, but after flicking through the channels and watching his show this evening, his food is not impressive, he doesn't display much skill, who is his target demographic??!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Skehan just wants to be famous at any cost. He first tried his hand at singing, then acting, photography and now cooking. He's a chancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

We are told the demographic is college students who want to learn from a young hip dude they aspire to be like.

The truth is the demographic is grannies who think he's a lovely boy and like to laugh at his quaint, innocent little anecdotes like "my dad told me that when he was a boy you could only buy olive oil in the chemist and you used it on your ailments".
    His dad is 150 you know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Obviously gives good head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Staplor

My sister thinks he's great, she views chicken dippers and oven chips as a suitable home cooked meal for young kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Obviously gives good head.

Was at one of his road shows. ..accidentally might I add....and he was a nightmare. Kept forgetting everything. Burning pasta etc. He had 2 minders...or reminders with him who kept steping in every 5mins to get him back on track. The crowd were well underwhelmed. Seemed like a alright lad but in no way should his shiiite be on tv ahead of any final year film and tv project

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭squonk

In fairness he's not a chef. Some of his stuff is very simple but there's a place for that as well. I know my way around a kitchen and do end up watching his shows at times thinking 'I can't believe he's only doing that' but at the same time it is nice to see some more simplistic and practical stuff being done.

You have to remember as well that there are quite a lot of people out there who can't cook! I mean, anything beyond boiling some spuds or frying some sausages phases them. If he helps people like that then it's a good thing. He's no Delia who did the simple things very, very well but I don't really get the hate. He seems like a decent enough guy who has cooked for himself a fair bit and has the confidence to be able to do it in front of a camera. I'm handy around a kitchen as I said but there's no way I could do a dinner with a camera crew in front of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

He is young, camera friendly, banal and harmless. He cooks dishes which are simple to prepare. Therefore he appeals to a broad demographic.

There is no conspiracy here. FWIW I don't think he puts himself out there as a michelin starred know it all. You might say he's winging it but as far as I know he's books have sold pretty well so he obviously holds enough appeal to be worthy of a TV slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Saw his programme last night. I thought some of the young onlookers were dangerously close to the frying pan-anyone else watching episode?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Advertisement