Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on a mid range build.

Options
  • 26-08-2014 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Hey folks, I'm in the process on picking out parts for a new PC for a friend of mine. She's basically looking for a PC that will serve her for the foreseeable future. She doesn't really game apart from the odd small title and it would be mostly used for browsing the net and streaming video online. Below is what I've picked out so far, just wondering if it might be overkill as it does seem quite dear without including a gfx card.

Any thoughts on what I could swap out? Figured an i5 might be best for future proofing but am open to suggestions, been a fair while since I built my own.

What I have so far.

Intel Core i5-4460 in-a-Box - 158,83
    ASRock H97 Pro4, Sockel 1150, ATX - 77,69
    ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 13 CO - 26,31
    8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3 - 67.51
    Compucase 6218 schwarz 400W - 79.90
    Toshiba DT01ACA Series 500GB, SATA - 39.21
    Samsung SH-224DB schwarz - 12.99
    Rechner - Zusammenbau - 29.99

Total: 492,43

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Ninjah Tigah

If possible, could you fill out and put your sample build at the bottom? :):

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Hey folks, I'm in the process on picking out parts for a new PC for a friend of mine. She's basically looking for a PC that will serve her for the foreseeable future. She doesn't really game apart from the odd small title and it would be mostly used for browsing the net and streaming video online. Below is what I've picked out so far, just wondering if it might be overkill as it does seem quite dear without including a gfx card.

Any thoughts on what I could swap out? Figured an i5 might be best for future proofing but am open to suggestions, been a fair while since I built my own.

What I have so far.

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot

Don't get that case. Fill out the template provided by the ninja.

What I have so far.

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot

Don't get that case. Fill out the template provided by the ninja.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

that's a very expensive case you can get one far cheaper and twice as good

miece16 wrote: »
    that's a very expensive case you can get one far cheaper and twice as good

It's expensive because it has a cough* ****ty.* PSU built into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

She'd be better off getting a laptop with the OS included if that's all she'll be using it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You can do much better. I don't have time for links, but I threw a build together for someone recently - G3258, H81, cheap Fractal case, 8GB RAM, Corsair VS PSU, 256GB MX100, GTX 750 Ti, Windows from Reddit - Comes to about the same price as the one you have there.

One of the lads will be along to sort you out shortly I'm sure. What games does/might she play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's also a bit overkill for those uses. You could swap the i5 for the G3220, the board you've chosen for a basic mAtx board, forget about adding a third party cpu cooler which is totally unnecessary, swap that case for a cheap case like the Zalman T4 and a Corsair vs350w PSU. Add something like a R7 250 and a small SSD for the OS and you're still coming in cheaper than your original build and much better rounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

Cheers for all the responses. I had a feeling it might not be decent value for money. Will fill out the form suggested by Ninja. Girlfriend has a laptop at the moment but wants a desktop. With regards to games, it really would be only through emulation on DosBox or some small titles like the Walking Dead series, so nothing too taxing but if a decent mid-range gfx card is possible I guess it wouldn't hurt to have it in case she does get into something new.

1. What is your budget? 400 - 500. Looking for value so the cheaper the better. Also looking for an ATX case to save room.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Light gaming through emulation or online flash. Mostly used for browsing the net and streaming video online.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Nope.

5. Do you need a monitor? No.

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? No. 1920x1080 at a guess.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Just a wireless card, have everything else.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes but I can't see it really being required.

8. How can you pay? Any method.

9. When are you purchasing? Ready to buy anytime.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Nope, South Dublin.

I'd still go for the G3220, you can get that plus a matx board for almost the same price of the Fx6300 alone. It's upgradable down the line to the much better 4th gen i3/i5/i7, uses 50% of the power of an Fx6300 and is just as fast in 90% of games. Given the uses described in this build, I still think it makes more sense. Plus with the money saved you could buy an SSD, which makes a massive difference to any build - more so than a processor ever could in terms of daily desktop use.

• Advertisement

This might help:

Arguably, you could leave out the GPU entirely, depending on what games you're planning on playing. You could then add in a bigger drive for storage if you needed it.

Laon7vNl.png

Also, instead of a wireless adapter, grab a pair of these, and enter the 21st century. :)

I reckon that's a great build. It would perform well in all modern games at 1080p.

If you run it through Geizhals.de, you could save a few bob too, and upgrade to a 750 Ti, or throw in a Hyper 212 Evo or something.

Woah, that looks like an ideal build. I didn't realise a PC of that calibre could be bought for that little, so thanks a million!

The case and psu are both out of stock, do you reckon they won't take too long to come back in and I should wait?

Thanks again for all the replies. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Serephucus wrote: »
    Also, instead of a wireless adapter, grab a pair of these, and enter the 21st century. :)
    Just a point of info in relation to these - they need their own plug socket - using them on a power strip will not do.
    So the number of spare sockets becomes a factor. Some houses have lots and some have only a few or maybe even just one per room.

Uh, why can't you use them on an extension lead?? :confused:

They just don't like it. Something to do with how the power is delivered to the strip, the signal just won't get through.

News to me, using 4 different ones in the house and they're all on extension leads...

Maybe it's only certain ones then. I have a TP-Link set (as does my girlfriend) and neither of them like being on extension leads at all.

I'm just going through the configuration utility on the site and the RAM, Case and PSU are all out of stock. Any chance someone could suggest decent alternatives? The RAM I can likely guess but wouldn't have a clue about quality when it comes to the PSU and Case so would be taking a shot in the dark.

• Advertisement
Advertisement