Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shimano C24 or Zipps 606 for Hilly TT

Options
  • 26-08-2014 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

Just wondering people that have 2 sets of wheels what factors they use for choosing which wheelset to go with on race day.

I have 2 sets
    Zipp 404 front 808 on back ( Used on Tri bike )
    Shimano 9000 C24 ( On road bike )

My next race is this , its a triathlon - 47km

"Bike goes through Glendalough to laragh, left at the Coffee shop and up the climb past Glenmacnass waterfall, asross the Sally Gap and right at the X roads to decend down to the west side of Luggala, climb up luggala next and decend past the De Bruin estate and on through Annacarter X roads to join the Roundwood Kilmac road at Sraghmore, here turn right and on back through Roundwood, on to Annamoe and down to Laragh. Here KEEP LEFT FOR RATHDRUM and keep right at Derrybawn to start the climb up Shay Elliot. "

Straight off its going to be a day for the road bike but which set of wheels

( I dont know the route at all )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

Shimano's all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Jeez, thats some sufferfest route for a TT, let alone part of a full Triathlon, and my guess will take close to 2 hours. Wind will play a big part.

Curious, whats the event and whats the rest of it like?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Reported, asking for advice on equipment for a triathlon, here of all places.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye defo no place for the deep rims, too heavy up the climb and it can blow up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

boege wrote: »
    Jeez, thats some sufferfest route for a TT, let alone part of a full Triathlon, and my guess will take close to 2 hours. Wind will play a big part.

Curious, whats the event and whats the rest of it like?

Here ya go

The Beast is in Glendalough this year,with the kind permission of the Rangers in the National Park. The full race briefing will be up by the 28th of this month.

As a summary the swim is the same course as the open water swim in the same location the week before our event. Exit along tarmacadam path to T1 in the upper lake car park.

Bike mount is outside the car park in the hatched box.

Bike goes through Glendalough to laragh, left at the Coffee shop and up the climb past Glenmacnass waterfall, asross the Sally Gap and right at the X roads to decend down to the west side of Luggala, climb up luggala next and decend past the De Bruin estate and on through Annacarter X roads to join the Roundwood Kilmac road at Sraghmore, here turn right and on back through Roundwood, on to Annamoe and down to Laragh. Here KEEP LEFT FOR RATHDRUM and keep right at Derrybawn to start the climb up Shay Elliot.

1 km from this turn is T2. The dismount line is now marked on the road"DISMOUNT T2" which is on the right. We will be transporting your bikes and kit back to T1, you will leave your run kit in numbered bags for collection and use in T2.

The run is now marked with white arrows and each KM is marked with a pile of white sprayed stones for those doing a reci beforehand. On the day sinage will be put up but we cannot do that this early as it is a national park.

Upon exiting T2 after 300m turn left and climb along the fire road (all the run is on good quality fire road) this climb crests at 1.4 km, decend 2.2 k and climb to 2.5k and the first run aid station, this section is on whats called the orange route in the park and heads back towards the upper lake, at 3.5k turn left just after the viewing seat(there is a big log on the right opposite this turn) carry on gradually climbing passed 4 and 5 km. after 5km you re enter the woods again but apart from about 200m this section is all flat with a steep decent passed km6 and the second aid stn. Here an out and back section of about 2 km i.e. 1km out,1km back of fairly level gradient, if anything it climbs on the way out, decends on the way back, passed the aid stn again and all downhill along the fire road passed 8 and 9 km to the bottom of the Poulinass waterfall. Here you turn right and climb the first section of wooden steps past the waterfall and come out where you previously passed and decend to the finish just short of the upper lake car park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Moderation in this forum is gone to Hell.
    This perversion should really have been picked up in the 1st post, but no, it was allowed, and then look what happened. We now have a complete description of the course of a Triathlon.
    It's not right, I tell you, it"s just not right.
    I have warned about this type of thing before, but was I listened to?
    No, I wasn't. I was berated for being hard on Triataloners, and now look what happened. They're taking over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

In my indignation, I almost forgot.
    Shimanos get my vote.
    Best of luck in your race, sounds like a real toughie.

Advertisement