Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn Lawn Care

Options
  • 26-08-2014 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I previously put up this thread about my lawn:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90399859

Thankfully, having kept the lawn regularly cut all Summer, and using the garden weed and feed twice over the Summer, the garden is now looking a good bit better. The rushes are now completely gone but I have had a good bit of clover and some dockings growing if I let the lawn grown long.

I'm wondering now what should I do for the Autumn. Would overseeding it be the best thing to do now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

Old lawns would benefit from aeration & scarification in Autumn

Aeration: fork over the soil to a depth of 6 - 12" to create air channels into the soil
    This improves grass growth, prevent fungal build up and reduces moss growth

Scarification: Raking over the lawn using a scarifier (or spring tine rake)
    This removes the buildup of old dead grass & thatch on lawns
    It Improves airflow and allows grass to spread & thicken up

Both of the above are not nessesary for the first 3 years of a lawn

You can spot weed out the dock leaves (using a general weedkiller or something stronger like SBK weed killer - this will not kill grass)

In spring you can treat your lawn with Ammonium Sulphate - this is Nitrogen and boost grass growth and also inhibits clover growth
    Apply 15gm / M2

You can treat your lawn now with autumn lawn feed - this boost root growth and prepare the lawn for the following spring

You can see more tips and advise on lawn care on our Garden Shop website

Best to Luck!

Advertisement