Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese Elective!? :O

Options
  • 26-08-2014 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I'm doing General Nursing and I have to do one optional elective, so I'm thinking of doing Japanese. I didn't take Japanese in the LC. I'm not that big on Japanese anime/manga/dramas/films but rather I'm super interested in the historical aspect of Japan (especially Muromachi period to Edo period). Also, I suppose it helps that I love the sound of the language.

I'm planning on doing this elective from 1st year to 3rd year (if my future timetables hopefully allow me to). I'd just like to know what I'm in for, you know? Not exactly what I'll be learning per se (because I've already read that in the ucd site) but what YOU guys (present/past students) thought about it?

Did you find it hard?
    How were the classes/students/teacher?
    What did you think of the assignments/exams?
    If you could turn back time, would you still take the elective??

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭yoajing

REALLY, GUYS? NO ONE HAS DONE THIS ELECTIVES? NOT EVEN YOUR FRIENDS? I'm sure y'all have heard something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

I've only done level 1 and I would definitely do more levels if given a chance to go back. We covered things like vocab, hiragana, a bit of kanji and katakana, directions, basic grammar and such. We had one class about Japanese culture, but it didn't cover it in depth or anything. I did it as elective in my final year and found it a bit difficult to keep up, mostly it was due to the amount of work in my other modules. Teachers were great! Very encouraging and super nice. We had an assignment every week and there was a mid term of 10% as well. The main exam was during the study week, so took some pressure off the final exams.

I would definitely recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Phyrexian

If you didn't do it for the Leaving you can do Japanese Level 1. From people I know who did it if you learn the hiragana beforehand, you'll be fine. You can keep on taking it the whole way through your course. You can do Level 2, Level 3a, Level 3b and Level 4.

You just register like any module when you register. Just go to the elective section when you register, untick the stupid 'in programme' box and tick 'all'. Then type in "Japanese" and they'll all show up.

To answer your questions:

Did you find it hard?

I haven't done it, but I have known loads who have. You have to try but I wouldn't call it a fast-paced class. As I said, just learn hiragana now and you'll be ahead at the start of the class.

How were the classes/students/teacher?

Students change each semester, so I can't really comment :P. Classes are small groups. Teacher is very nice.

What did you think of the assignments/exams?

As the previous poster said. There's listening, writing and a speaking exam.

You're only in first year, why not chance it, not like it's gonna ruin your GPA. You can switch out if you hate it before about halfway through October. Are you sure you'll be able to do later in your course because you'll be on placement?

I'd send you the module description but I can't cos I'm new (can't post links).

Also join Japanese Soc (plugging it cos I'm in it) - they do Japanese English Exchange Classes and loads of the members have done Japanese electives so you can ask them about it if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭yoajing

Phyrexian wrote: »

You're only in first year, why not chance it, not like it's gonna ruin your GPA. You can switch out if you hate it before about halfway through October. Are you sure you'll be able to do later in your course because you'll be on placement?

I'd send you the module description but I can't cos I'm new (can't post links).

Also join Japanese Soc (plugging it cos I'm in it) - they do Japanese English Exchange Classes and loads of the members have done Japanese electives so you can ask them about it if you like.

See, I'm scared that if I do find out that Japanese isn't cut out for me, then I'd have to catch up on the new elective mid-October. Well, in any case, I don't really think that'll happen! And yes! I'll definitely be joining the Japanese Soc (it'll help me with the language) so I'll see you there!

Advertisement