Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law International or Law & French?

Options
  • 26-08-2014 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi so I'm a prospective UCC student and I have a question.

Law International is typically about 545 where as Law and French is typically about 510. I know points are based purely on demand but if I like the language is Law and French not a much better degree to have? With Law International you have a basic law degree and an erasmus year international... not a degree based on international law as I had previously thought. With Law and French you had a Law degree, an erasmus year AND a French degree?

Am I right in saying that Law International is probably in higher demand because people don't like languages all that much and would prefer to not study them in colleges - hence Law International is their top pick?

I'd really appreciate some clarification on this matter and if anyone has any thought on the degrees I'd really appreciate it!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

yoyojc wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that Law International is probably in higher demand because people don't like languages all that much and would prefer to not study them in colleges - hence Law International is their top pick?
    I suspect you could well have identified at least one reason, another *possible* reason (speaking theoretically, I know nothing about either course) would be that there are more places available in Law and French and perhaps quite limited places in the Law International stream?

It might be worth asking the question in the UCC forum where you are much more likely to encounter students who have chosen / are doing the course? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 _becca_

I don't think Law International is in high demand at all. I was in second year this year and they had to offer remaining places to people doing BCL. That's not to say it's the same every year though.

Check out the college calendar for the difference in modules as well; I know there are law modules that people doing Law International/Clinical do but those doing Law+Language don't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭LutherBlissett

Law International is in high demand through the CAO - it, along with Law and French, is viewed as one of the most prestigious law courses offered by UCC. This is because those courses give you the opportunity to study at highly ranked universities abroad.

It is demand for actually studying abroad in third year that is not high. A lot of people attempt to enter the course. Having succeeded, they realise they're not actually that keen on law/ they can't afford to study abroad (the expense incurred in this regard isn't bank breaking, but it's not inconsiderable either). They then drop out in second year.

The problem with demand is upstream in that sense, downstream demand for the course hasn't diminished over time (as evidence by the relatively high/ static CAO points).

Advertisement