Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first gaming build

Options
  • 26-08-2014 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

So finally pulled the trigger on my new build so very excited.

For the case I chose the Coolermaster Cosmos 2 and for the graphics card a GTX 780 TI

Still haven't picked a monitor so if you have any suggestions fire away :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Nice build but 1200w PSU is overkill unless you plan on upgrading in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭loh_oro

Blitz17 wrote: »
    Nice build but 1200w PSU is overkill unless you plan on upgrading in the future

Yeah I plan on adding another GTX 780TI at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

What are you planning on using this machine for by the way, other than gaming.

Blitz17 wrote: »
    What are you planning on using this machine for by the way, other than gaming.

Im a software developer so I will be running multiple virtual machines etc ... Need every bit of processing power I can get. I also do some game development.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭game4it70

loh_oro wrote: »
    Im a software developer so I will be running multiple virtual machines etc ... Need every bit of processing power I can get. I also do some game development.

Did you not know the new intel new X99s processors are out on friday?
    I'd cancel your order and wait if you need the best rig you can get.

They look like they will be priced similar to the x79 platform but they use DDR4 memory which is pricey.

• Advertisement

game4it70 wrote: »
    Did you not know the new intel new X99s processors are out on friday?
    I'd cancel your order and wait if you need the best rig you can get.

They look like they will be priced similar to the x79 platform but they use DDR4 memory which is pricey.

Yeah that processor is more than enough to suit my needs. Perhaps in a few years when the price comes down but right now I think this is the best option for me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Seems like a big waste of money to me but hey it's your money.

Ram would be a bigger issue than cpu power for VM's afaik, you will struggle to use 50% of that 4930k's power in either games or for VM's. That obviously depends on what you are using the VM's for.

I'd much prefer the R9 290 over a 780ti as well for the superior price/performance ratio.

What monitor are you planning on running this on? You had the budget for a dual gpu system but you would want to be running 120hz 1440p or 60hz 4k to use that kind of power.

Advertisement