Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First road bike - essential extra bits & pieces

Options
  • 26-08-2014 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭

Hi. Just putting through online purchase of first road bike and wanted to be sure I have everything I need. I know clothing is a whole other story, but I see some recent threads on this that I will use as guidance in that regard. I just want to be sure that while online on the Rose site I get what other essentials I need. The following is what I have so far:

Floor pump
    Mini tool set
    Tyre lever set

I suppose I should get some extra tubes, and a repair kit.

The two I am not sure of....

Saddle bag, do I really need one? I won't be doing longer than 2/3 hours so can probably use jersey pockets.

Pump for when out cycling...do people generally carry mini pumps? If so, are they typically small enough for saddle bags, or are they frame mounted? There's not much point in bringing tubes or repair kit if I have no pump, obviously, so just interested in hearing views on this - I haven't noticed pumps + CO2 etc on bikes.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Light waterproofs for the back pocket of your jersey. Mini-pump fits in your back pocket fine though I've mine frame mounted, and do have a saddle bag. Lights to be seen are important as the days shorten, lights to see with are optional depending on when and where you are cycling. Cage and bottle are pretty essential, for 2-3 hours one should be fine. Small bike computer is handy and cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Get a small saddle bag for tubes, tyre levers and a CO2 canister and keys money etc

I used to also have a pump strapped to the bike but don't bother anymore. I use a CO2 pump and carry 2 cartridges.

A track (floor) pump is necessary as you ideally should check tyre pressure before each spin. Lidl had them in yesterday and they seem pretty decent.

Get yourself some front/rear lights too as evenings are getting darker from now on in.

Definitely get a few spare tubes, I always keep about 6 of them, just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thanks for the reply smacl. I was just looking at cage & bottle. It's a minefield out there! No idea what to get.

Are all mini pumps CO2 ones?

I have lights on my commuter so covered for that, though might get another set for the road bike.

With bike computer am I looking for something I can upload the data from etc, or is it just to show speed, distance covered etc? Should I hold out for a garmin type thing for Christmas?

I used to also have a pump strapped to the bike but don't bother anymore. I use a CO2 pump and carry 2 cartridges.

Does that fit in the saddle bag too? Is something like this the right size?

http://www.rosebikes.com/article/ortlieb-micro-saddle-bag/aid:568358

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Saddle Bag - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/topeak-aero-wedge-strap-on-saddle-bag/rp-prod7361
    Tyre leavers - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/s?q=park+tool+tyre+levers+-+3+x+hooked+tl1
    Puncture Kit - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/park-tool-vulcanising-patch-kit-vp1/rp-prod13886
    Multi Tool - I think I've got one from aldi/lidl
    Tubes * 2

(all of the above will fit in to that saddle bag, I've got the medium version)

I carry a mini pump in my jersey/jacket rear pocket along with a schrader to presta converter (this goes in the saddle bag).

I'm tempted to pick up a couple of the small knog LEDs lights to keep them in the saddle bag as spares.

Edit: Also to add about the track pump, pick up a good one for home. A set of main lights, models will depend on whether you want to see or want to be seen. Up to you if you want a helmet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Mud-guards? Personal choice as to whether you use them but I wouldn't be without them in the winter. Or spring. Autumn. Most of Summer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

Does that fit in the saddle bag too? Is something like this the right size?

http://www.rosebikes.com/article/ortlieb-micro-saddle-bag/aid:568358

I have that saddle bag. I have a CO2 pump, a spare cartridge, a spare tube, a multi tool (topeak hexus II), spare chain link and still have room for my keys and some cash. I like the bag because it only attaches to the seat, it doesn't have a strap that goes round the seat tube which wrecks the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

If you are buying from rose look at this everything is included. I find that during the winter a bottle keeps tools etc better than a saddlebag.

http://www.rosebikes.com/article/tacx-t4845-tooltube-plus-tool-box/aid:747544

quozl wrote: »
    Mud-guards? Personal choice as to whether you use them but I wouldn't be without them in the winter. Or spring. Autumn. Most of Summer...

Thanks, good idea. There seem to be cheap xtreme ones on rose that are easy on/off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

a good pair of shorts/thights, after 2/3 hours in the saddle your rear will thank you. as for the pump mine is attached to my bottle cage.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply smacl. I was just looking at cage & bottle. It's a minefield out there! No idea what to get.

Colour coordinated is good, most of them work well enough outside of that. I use Elite bottles which you can squeeze rather than than suck on, and are machine washable. Currently have a Deda alloy cage after breaking a couple of plastic ones.
    Are all mini pumps CO2 ones?

Nope, I use small manual mini pump.
    With bike computer am I looking for something I can upload the data from etc, or is it just to show speed, distance covered etc? Should I hold out for a garmin type thing for Christmas?

I use the cheap and cheerful cateye ones, but were Santa to offer me a Garmin 500 or 800 I'd be well chuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

My 2cents, a bike fit. All the gear in the world won't make your bike comfy

The_Sub wrote: »
    My 2cents, a bike fit. All the gear in the world won't make your bike comfy

Thanks, will definitely be looking at that once I have the thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Speedsuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Last_Minute

Glasses.

You an get them real cheap and it saves you from squinting from the sun/wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

These bottle cages
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-custom-race-bottle-cage-2014-1/

and you need a minitool. I use this one but you can get one for ~€10
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-mini-20-pro-20-function-multi-tool/

Jesus, I'm going to be broke before I even get the bike.

I don't have shoes, so overshoes might be a bit premature. I barely managed to specify pedals, went for the Look KeO ones. I think I will buy shoes in LBS. Already I have the following:

water bottles
    bottle cages
    tyre levers
    multi tool
    clip on mudguards
    wireless cateye basic computer
    puncture repair kit
    spare tubes
    saddle bag (decided against the bottle based tool kit)
    mini pump
    floor pump

I haven't got glasses but I saw a thread recently about really cheap ones so I'll go for them.

Very tempted to try Ali Express for clothing requirements, try to keep costs down, have been lurking on that thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

I haven't got glasses but I saw a thread recently about really cheap ones so I'll go for them.

If you're referring to these glasses on ebay, they work very well. I received a tinted yellow and also a clear set this week in prep for the winter/darker months. Am happy with those as well as the standard darker sunglasses from the same guys. Think it ended up being under €10 for 4 pairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

You seem to have everything covered helmet? I would not bother with puncture repair kit you can get 6 on wiggle for 15 euro just throw them away.
    If you are doing 2/3 hours as I do the most important thing is Mobile phone to ring the OH to pick me up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Personally puncture repair kit is not needed if you are going to carry spare tubes. I never fix punctured tubes myself, I just throw is away and replace with a new one. Piece or mind and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

A second bike!

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    A second bike!

Jaysus, I just put my list of clothing together...have amended delivery address on all sites to work address, adopting the same subterfuge tactics as her indoors does with online fashion purchases! :D

I enjoyed the irony of deleting the puncture repair kit from my list, the cheapest item...so much for savings & wastes of money! Are these ok by way of spare tubes: http://www.rosebikes.com/product/detail/aid:48403
    I am trying to keep my non-clothing (& non-eyewear) purchases to either Rose or CRC. I'll be running Continental Grand Prix 4000 S II tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Dont forget a winter bike! ;)

logik wrote: »
    Personally puncture repair kit is not needed if you are going to carry spare tubes. I never fix punctured tubes myself, I just throw is away and replace with a new one. Piece or mind and all that.

Was out on a long spin (~11 hours) once with my sister, and she managed six punctures all in, and what were pretty crappy stock tyres (Kenda). Puncture repair kit was most definitely needed. Weighs almost nothing, costs next to nothing, stick it on the shopping list. Peace of mind and all that :p

Quick question.....leg warmers with bib tights, is bib shorts plus warmers, or would one wear tights and warmers at the same time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

I just wear running tights over my bib shorts for wintery days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

oh and don't forget new wheels.

• Advertisement

Feck it, I just went bananas on Ali Express. I think I have a problem.

Advertisement