Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cx cross

Options
  • 26-08-2014 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hi does anyone have a boardman cx comp cross.....

Looking for racer / commuter looking for advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I've seen one or two around, seem to be a good commuter/touring bike:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12796558

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I've seen one or two around, seem to be a good commuter/touring bike:

Thanks for that link ;)

Will have proper look later.

My commute can be quite bumpy thanks to the beautifully destroyed cycle tracks on the northside.
    I was looking at out n out road bike but think the thicker/stronger wheels of cx might be more suited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Disc brakes would be nice for commuting.

beauf wrote: »

Yeah- But i'm a bit sceptical because of some of the reviews from thread now..

A lot of issues with bearings and cranks
    Not that im gonna be racing cyclocross or anything but with my luck it will probably be my luck

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

I have this for sale.. very versatile.. touring/commuting/cross etc

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057257977

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

beauf wrote: »

Don't bother if they are mechanical, rim brakes are just as good.

25sean wrote: »
    I have this for sale.. very versatile.. touring/commuting/cross etc

Lovely bike

Unfortunatly need it on BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

The_Sub wrote: »
    Don't bother if they are mechanical, rim brakes are just as good.

Mechanical discs are much better than cantilevers for commuting.

nak wrote: »

Cheers- will the size of wheels scrub of speed

Cheers- will the size of wheels scrub of speed

Not sure what you mean, tyre size? Wheels are the same as a road bike, but you have more clearance for wider tyres on a cross bike. I use 32mm Vittoria Randonneurs on my cross bike for commuting. Knobbly cross tyres might slow you down a little on tarmac. I have another pair of clincher wheels with cross tyres on for training as I don't want to wear down the tread cycling to work.

• Advertisement

Not sure what you mean, tyre size? Wheels are the same as a road bike, but you have more clearance for wider tyres on a cross bike. I use 32mm Vittoria Randonneurs on my cross bike for commuting. Knobbly cross tyres might slow you down a little on tarmac. I have another pair of clincher wheels with cross tyres on for training as I don't want to wear down the tread cycling to work.

Forgive me sounding stupid - I meant the width of wheel
    Tyres on boardman are Tyres Schwalbe Tyrago Kevlar Guard 700 x 37c

Are these quite wide??

Or is it possible to put standard tyres on if going on a long spin? ie charity cycle etc or would you just keep standard

I've had both and couldn't disagree more. YMMV

• Registered Users Posts: 31,030 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Drop bar with integrated shifters?

Lumen wrote: »
    Drop bar with integrated shifters?

Yep, cdf with CX-Expert vs Trek 1.1, I'd have the trek again for brakes anyway.

Have yet to try them myself, but everyone else I've know of who has made the switch to mechanical discs (including my husband on his road bike) has had one word for them - awesome. They all have the same rotors, cables etc.

The Trek has dual pivot calipers not cantilvers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

has had one word for them - awesome. They all have the same rotors, cables etc.

What are they exactly? I'd like to know because I am also not 100% happy with mine.

Alek wrote: »
    What are they exactly? I'd like to know because I am also not 100% happy with mine.

I think they're Avid rotors, levers would be Ultegra, don't know what brand the cables are. Have heard good things about the TRP brakes too.

First hand experience, TRPs (Spyre and HY/RD) are good but no match to old Shimano hydraulics or even well set Vbrakes.

I was looking at trek 1.1 but trying to decide whether to go for fuji 1.3 or boardman cx comp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,030 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I was looking at trek 1.1 but trying to decide whether to go for fuji 1.3 or boardman cx comp
    They're really very different bikes and will feel completely different to ride.

The Boardman is a CX bike with 435mm chainstays. The Trek is a traditional race bike with 407mm chainstays.

CX bikes feel tall and stable/ponderous on the road. Whether you like that or not is a matter of personal preference.

Lumen wrote: »
    They're really very different bikes and will feel completely different to ride.

The Boardman is a CX bike with 435mm chainstays. The Trek is a traditional race bike with 407mm chainstays.

CX bikes feel tall and stable/ponderous on the road. Whether you like that or not is a matter of personal preference.

I'm looking for it mainly for commuting to work around 10miles each way - some cycle lanes and a few tight roads where i may need to use the paths so trying to decide if road wheels will take the harshness of a commute. But also for a couple of long spins, but dont wanna be lagging behind

But also for a couple of long spins, but dont wanna be lagging behind

CX bike may feel ponderous, but will not slow you down any considerable amount on the road, as long as you use road tyres. Unless you're racing :)

Ponderous is not something that sound like it would be worth the extra money...

Are CX bikes more expensive than road ones?

I've went for CX bike for comfortable geometry (I do long-distance rides) and versality.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

I have a Rose CX bike I use for commute in from Swords to City Centre. Full mudguards, 35c tyres (Schwalbe Marathon's), Shimano Mech Disc brakes, wheels are Mavic Crossone (mountain bike 29er wheel).

Wouldn't be too concerned about the wheels as the 29er wheels will fit most disc based CX bikes and they are pretty robust. You can get more race ready wheels which will take a skinnier tyre and be lighter and run faster but you pay more for this upgrade. Also the wheels are pretty tough and take all of the abuse required including the occasional bunny hop onto a path.

I find the mech disc brakes great not much difference in the dry but in the wet weather earlier this week they worked as normal when I know from experience it would have been a lot less certain with rim brakes (including v brakes).

Its not as quick as an out and out road bike but you can still do a steady 30 kph on the flat and once its up to speed the weight is less of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Alek wrote: »
    Are CX bikes more expensive than road ones?

Not necessarily, but I think the market isn't as competitive as the entry-level road bike market, so there's less choice and fewer good deals.

OP, buy a road bike (with rack and mudguard mounts if you want) unless you specifically need to run fat tires. That's the primary advantage of a CX bike - and you'll have to live with the other drawbacks people have pointed out. CX and road bikes generally have the same wheels unless the CX bike has disc brakes.

Not necessarily, but I think the market isn't as competitive as the entry-level road bike market, so there's less choice and fewer good deals.

OP, buy a road bike (with rack and mudguard mounts if you want) unless you specifically need to run fat tires. That's the primary advantage of a CX bike - and you'll have to live with the other drawbacks people have pointed out. CX and road bikes generally have the same wheels unless the CX bike has disc brakes.

Trek 1.1 or 1.5 or fuji 1.3 it is so or the focus culebro 4.0
    I havent used so many decimal points since the leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I have Continental 35 mm knobblies on my CX, on DT Swiss wheels. I've had standard 23 mm road tyres on the same wheels previously. No problem with fit. I estimate speed penalty on road is about 2-3 km/h with the 35 mm tyres, depending on the surface. Difference is greater on smooth roads. On rough roads, I feel fresher using the bigger tyres, and this minimises the speed penalty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement