Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Taught Economics

Options
  • 25-08-2014 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm going into 5th yr in a few days doing 7 subjects outside the usuals, I picked DCG, Accounting and Economics, unfortunately there was a clash in the timetable with the two business subjects so I got my 4th choice which was business.

I am now considering whether to take up economics to study at home, I've a strong interest in business and current affairs etc. but I am just wondering would i take up economics because DCG is not a 'written' exam and it's easy once you learn how to do it. I'm thinking that the three business subjects would link up in some parts and I could pick up an extra few points for through economics

If anyone has any opinions or help it would be greatly appreciated. Or anyone who has done economics outside school, how hard is it and how long does it take to cover?

P.S: I know that they're a few threads about this but some are different subjects so I'm just trying to get some insight on this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

Stevie.G.8 wrote: »
    I'm going into 5th yr in a few days doing 7 subjects outside the usuals, I picked DCG, Accounting and Economics, unfortunately there was a clash in the timetable with the two business subjects so I got my 4th choice which was business.

I am now considering whether to take up economics to study at home, I've a strong interest in business and current affairs etc. but I am just wondering would i take up economics because DCG is not a 'written' exam and it's easy once you learn how to do it. I'm thinking that the three business subjects would link up in some parts and I could pick up an extra few points for through economics

If anyone has any opinions or help it would be greatly appreciated. Or anyone who has done economics outside school, how hard is it and how long does it take to cover?

P.S: I know that they're a few threads about this but some are different subjects so I'm just trying to get some insight on this

Hi Stevie I'm currently studying both those subjects in school! Personally out of the two I think economics is a lot harder so far! If I was going to teach myself one outside of school it would be business, theres not really much to teach. I mean its like junior cert business with a few terms here and there and for me anyway economics was very hard there is graphs, equilibrium, markets, micro, gdp all very technical stuff that personal I couldn't learn without the help of a teacher! That's just my opinion! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

I think it would be fair to say that economics is harder but a shorter course and that business, while easier, is a very long course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Stevie.G.8

Thanks to both posters for your help, I will take your opinions in consideration and make a decision which will probably to focus on the seven other subjects and get and try get a high grade in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭IanOBo

would I be mad to take up economics outside of school in sixth year? I think its possible. I'm very good at business and I think it would come naturally enough to me. I looked at the exam papers and I thought it was interesting. Let me know what you think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

It could be a bit risky. It's difficult to begin with but in my experience once you understand it just stays with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭First_October

Doing economics in one year is grand; the course really isn't long enough to justify spending two full years on it. FWIW, I did it in less than a year by myself and did very well. The main thing is that one has to be motivated enough to actually spend the time studying it by oneself, while at the same time ensuring it doesn't eat into the time spent on proper school subjects.

Advertisement