Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC upgrade advice needed

Options
  • 25-08-2014 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I need a new PC for the new Unreal Tournament game and want to pull around 150fps on 1080p. I've got a 144hz screen so that's the reason why.

My current specs are i5-760 @ 3.8 ghz and a GTX 460 1GB at 850mhz. It's not good enough anymore

1. What is your budget? [€800]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming mainly Unreal Engine 4 games

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? I'm not sure about this yet. I have a 700w psu and 6gb of ddr3 and a cooler master haf 932 case. Would it make more sense to hang onto these?

5. Do you need a monitor? No

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? Not in a huge rush

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Won't need help building it

Thanks for any advice, I know nothing about modern gpus and cpus anymore

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

What about throwing a new graphics card in there. A 760 isn't really woeful especially overclocked. However, you could get a 4690K (€220) or even a 4790K (€310) and a motherboard (€100).

You could pick up something like a 280X (€250). It's a powerful card, a huge improvement. However 150 frames might be a big ask and we don't even know what to expect for UT at this stage. It could be quite a while before we get it!
    Alternatively, maybe a 290 for €360, but beyond that, you're going into silly money or get two cards, in which case you would be considering CPU upgrades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I was thinking today about picking another 460 for 50e and running sli. I think you're right, I should wait a while until they release full requirements and the game is more developed . Game is only pre alpha at the moment

I'm thinking of ordering a r9 290 in a few days, one with a decent cooler. If there any better cards for the price considering it was released 10 months ago or so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Nvidia are apparently announcing the 900 series 18th September, it will be a while before they're available to buy I would assume, but might be worth waiting for a look..

• Advertisement

Bought the r9 290 tri-x, overclocked it abit. Very nice card

Got an itch to upgrade my cpu and mobo, I read ddr4 is coming out so does that mean a new line of intel cpus? Should I wait until after xmas?

Cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Yeah that R9 290 Tri-X OC is a great card, I have one myself. :)

DDR4 is/will be pretty expensive for a while as it's cutting edge stuff atm, so cost/benefit-wise it doesn't make sense right now imho.
    A modern i5 with decent motherboard and good DDR3 RAM would go a long way in future-proofing your gaming build,
    it would probably even be over-kill for Unreal Tournament games but will play everything thrown at it for a good few years to come.

If you are still looking to upgrade though, check out something like the No-Brainer deal spec on Scan.co.uk - http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/index.aspx
    It's an i5 4690K, Gigabyte Intel Z97 motherboard, 8GB DDR3 Vengeance PC3-12800 RAM, Corsair Carbide Series 200R Compact Mid Tower with USB 3.0 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda Hard drive. As you have a PSU and R9 290 graphics card that would a nice upgrade for ~€480 delivered.

Cost could be off-set by selling off the older components as a build.
    Also, a Samsung EVO SSD 120GB & CoolerMaster Hyper-X 212 CPU cooler (~€100 for both delivered! check Amazon.co.uk) would be worthy upgrades on top of that spec.

What make/model is your PSU & how old?

Hi Moon I opened a new thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057290963

I`ll ask a mod to delete this one and post my specs in the new thread

Advertisement