Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Small automatic for new learner

Options
  • 25-08-2014 10:51pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭

Having tried to learn a manual for a couple of years and never quite getting as comfortable as I'd like, I tried out an automatic and definitely think it's the way to go for me.

I'm looking at buying a small engined physically small car (just to make parking a bit easier) circa €5K, will go as high as €6K for the right one.

Currently the 2008 Aygo is winning out in my mind as it's small and Toyotas have a pretty reliable rep (even if that has been eroded somewhat in recent years)

Do you good people think that's the right way to go? Or has anyone any ideas I may not have thought of yet?

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Aygo has a pretty rotten gearbox though. It won't make driving that much easier.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Aygo has a pretty rotten gearbox though. It won't make driving that much easier.

How do you mean? I'm not too up on car terminology so 'rotten gearbox' means not too much to me :)

How do you mean? I'm not too up on car terminology so 'rotten gearbox' means not too much to me :)

As in its jerky and gear changes are pretty random.

I'd get one of these instead
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/daihutsu-sirion-automatic/7236011
    Good traditional gearbox, smooth 4 cylinder engine, better interior quality and equipment.

As in its jerky and gear changes are pretty random.

I'd get one of these instead
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/daihutsu-sirion-automatic/7236011

Thanks for the advice. Is that something that would become apparent during a test drive?

Thanks for the advice. Is that something that would become apparent during a test drive?

You'd probably blame yourself and assume that it wasn't the cars fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Why aren't you comfortable with a manual?

I ask, as good small automatics are extremely thin on the ground here, and in general you will pay a premium for them(though that Sirion is perfectly adequate).

It could be something as easy as finding the right instructor who puts you at ease, and enough practice.

Also, if you pass the test in an auto, you are only licenced to drive automatics, while passing it in a manual allows you to drive both.

A Honda Jazz or Mitsubishi Colt should fall into budget if you're dead set on an automatic. Sirion will do the job too, fairly robust those cars.

You'd probably blame yourself and assume that it wasn't the cars fault.

Might get the more experienced husband to try it out too, but will try the Daihutsu for comparison purposes (can't say I like the look of it though, bit superficial like that ;))

Might get the more experienced husband to try it out too, but will try the Daihutsu for comparison purposes (can't say I like the look of it though, bit superficial like that ;))

They look a bit better in the flesh, most of them have air conditioning and other goodies too, that one has.
    They're closely related to the yaris.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Cant speak for the auto box but otherwise those Swifts are a cracking little car to drive and well worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

That Swift looks a class better than the Sirion.

I agree with others that your choice is limited OP - not a position you want to be in as a buyer;)
    I would suggest being patient and wait for the right car to show up somewhere. There were few posters in the past looking for a small auto and it never was easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Moneymaker wrote: »
    It could be something as easy as finding the right instructor who puts you at ease, and enough practice.

Also, if you pass the test in an auto, you are only licenced to drive automatics, while passing it in a manual allows you to drive both.

Off topic I know, but I would agree with this. Try and pass your test in a manual if at all possible, even if you never plan actually owning one. Having an auto only license makes buying cars and renting them if abroad etc much more difficult, and if you ever do want to go manual you need to resit the test again.

The right instructor and plenty of practice should see you right in a manual. Its just a case of getting to the stage where the clutch and gear changes become second nature.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Why aren't you comfortable with a manual?

I ask, as good small automatics are extremely thin on the ground here, and in general you will pay a premium for them(though that Sirion is perfectly adequate).

A Honda Jazz or Mitsubishi Colt should fall into budget if you're dead set on an automatic. Sirion will do the job too, fairly robust those cars.

I've answered this question so many times I have it rote :)

I have tried many instructors and 5 years and I actually hate driving when I'm in a manual, so for me it's not a choice between manual and auto, it's a choice between auto and never learning to drive.

djimi wrote: »
    Its just a case of getting to the stage where the clutch and gear changes become second nature.

If that hasn't happened after five years of lessons it's unlikely to happen now.

I'm not as limited as you would think, auto's are more and more common. Any good car rental shop has autos. How do you think people from the US travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

If that hasn't happened after five years of lessons it's unlikely to happen now.

I'm not as limited as you would think, auto's are more and more common. Any good car rental shop has autos. How do you think people from the US travel?

It is limited if you are looking to buy a small, petrol city hatchback with an autobox for 5-6k;)

It is like 1 automatic car vs 30 manual cars.

wonski wrote: »
    It is limited if you are looking to buy a small, petrol city hatchback with an autobox for 5-6k;)

It is like 1 automatic car vs 30 manual cars.

Limited.. but not impossible.

Anyway.. back on topic..

Advertisement