Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating the LC

Options
  • 25-08-2014 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there, I'm just wondering what are the benefits of repeating the Leaving Certificate? I got 385 this year which i was shocked with as I got 415 in the mocks. I was hoping to do Ag Science in UCD but I only got arts in UCC instead. I didn't accept the offer for UCC as I feel i would drop out of the course. I'm also wondering should I repeat in my old school or repeat in a grind school?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Brien O Brien

Same I also went down from my pre. I'm repeating in limerick tutorial collage. I wouldn't go back to your old school if I was you !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Hi there, I'm just wondering what are the benefits of repeating the Leaving Certificate? I got 385 this year which i was shocked with as I got 415 in the mocks. I was hoping to do Ag Science in UCD but I only got arts in UCC instead. I didn't accept the offer for UCC as I feel i would drop out of the course. I'm also wondering should I repeat in my old school or repeat in a grind school?

Oh, definitely repeat. If your heart is set on Ag in UCD, then the year is worth it. However, next year have a backup ag...tralee it and other places.The year is fine honestly, just work. Also, perhaps you got hints for the mocks, or had an easy marker. If you do repeat, take your mocks results with a pinch of salt. Also assuming you are checking your scripts, actually memorise where you went wrong and build on it during the year.

I really wanted to go to a grinds school, However I went back to my old school, the help I got was brilliant as teachers really respect you and don't want to let you down. The help is there if you ask for it, and you make friends for life. A few people in my year repeated in grinds schools and did worse/barely came up... I came up 50+, take from that what you will, but what I did notice was that I was at an advantage than many in my 2013 year who repeated because nearly everyone was at the same level in a public school i suppose, but in grinds schools there are people who are going for medicine etc and if you don't learn what they give you,you'll look terrible against those who reeeally work. Also, i think the fact that I could come home to my family after a hard day was a great support to me, I don't think I could have done it in a grinds school... Plus, you'll be moving to Dublin. Do you realise how much that costs? The €6000 or so would really come in handy. Or you could look into VEC schools or whatever they're called:rolleyes: At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter where you go as long as you work hard.

Honestly, there was no better feeling than seeing that I achieved my goal, starting my dream course in a few weeks and honestly think it was the best decision I ever made:o

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ocdm95

I was hoping to get UCD Science last year but unfortunately I was 110 points short. I knew science was the only thing I truely wanted to do so instead of accepting a place in UCD arts I decided to repeat.
    My first sitting of the Leaving Cert resulted in 400 points. This was partly because I didn't put in nearly enough effort and work. I repeated in a grinds school and although very expensive it was completely worth the extra year. I worked hard and had great notes and teachers to help. This year I got 510 points which was a 110 point increase. I Know however that not everyone will achieve this large a jump. I recommend only repeating if you know you can considerabley improve on last year, or if you know you didnt put in enough effort the first time. Also if you can afford it definitely go with a grinds school. They are much more exam focused and are used to repeat students. They will help maximise the increase in points you get this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pirhannaer

I'm from Kilkenny and repeated in a carlow institute of furthur ed. i got 320 first time and did **** all , had no interest and didn't even no what was coming up on half tests, i got 395 this year , from basically all my own work . Since u got in high 300's u know the lc fairly well so it doesnt matter where u go its down to u too study , i have friends who went grind schools and had similiar results to me... but if someone is reading this and got low points and didn't learn a lot of stuff or know have the stuff that came up id recommend grind school as they go through things better

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

So many posts supporting grinds businesses from low-post posters....

OP, repeat wherever you want. If you are prepared to put in more work than you did this year, you will do better. Only you know whether you did your best this time. Please don't rely entirely on mocks for predictions. A great deal depends on who corrects them and whether they are corrected to SEC standards, not just 'mock paper business' standards.

Thread closed as there are way too many of this sort of thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement