Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isle of Man chess tournament

Options
  • 25-08-2014 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

4-12 October (Masters - 9 rounds) / 6-12 October (Majors/Minors - 7 rounds)
    Very nice line-up so far!
    See: iominternationalchess.com

It surprises me that there are no Irish participants. Can anyone explain?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Olympiad and Irish Championships taking away a lot of people's holidays maybe?

I think Baburin won this years ago; shortly after he came to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Presumably everyone is saving themselves up for the Galway Congress on the 17th-19th..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Because it's fiddly to get to (ferry or flight) and then you have to pay for a hotel, possibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aeliens

I hate to see Galway Congress canceled but maybe some Irish players will give the IoM tournament a go this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

aeliens wrote: »
    I hate to see Galway Congress canceled but maybe some Irish players will give the IoM tournament a go this year?

Several weeks ago on the Isle of Man tournament website they had no entry form, still chasing IMs and GMs presumably. They said numbers would be limited.

So I sent a message on their contact form asking to be informed when they were taking open entries. They never answered so I won't be going!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 aeliens

Several weeks ago on the Isle of Man tournament website they had no entry form, still chasing IMs and GMs presumably. They said numbers would be limited.

I do not know why there was no reaction from the contact form, but I know there was always an entry form, and the website always stated they where looking for 120 participants where there would be approx. 50 invites.

I do not understand why you did not enlist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

aeliens wrote: »
    I do not know why there was no reaction from the contact form, but I know there was always an entry form, and the website always stated they where looking for 120 participants where there would be approx. 50 invites.

I do not understand why you did not enlist?

Saw no entry form (this way in May I think). It either wasn't there or wasn't properly linked at that time. Principally, you didn't do me the courtesy of a reply, which would at least have led to your tournament getting publicity. Your bad.

Going to the World Seniors and Gibraltar 2016 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Barno

Peter Cafolla and Anthony Fox have joined the masters, Colm Buckley and Samuel Flanagan are playing in the majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭sinbad68

Barno wrote: »
    Peter Cafolla and Anthony Fox have joined the masters, Colm Buckley and Samuel Flanagan are playing in the majors.

In other significant news, four marshmallows just entered my hot chocolate. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Don't worry Sinbad, if you work hard maybe you can join the masters section one day.

• Advertisement

Neo_Ninja wrote: »
    Don't worry Sinbad, if you work hard maybe you can join the masters section one day.

My poorly informed Ninja!, The masters section is OPEN, anyone even you could enter ! :P. It would be really good if people did a quick fact check with their comments before posting here and embarrassing themselves with bad info.

Neo_Ninja wrote: »

Why delete my post stating that the masters section is OPEN to all ?:confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Ninja didn't delete the post.

Not like you not to do a quick fact check with their comments before posting here embarrassing yourself with bad info... :p

cdeb wrote: »
    Ninja didn't delete the post.

Not like you to jump to conclusions and embarrass yourself with bad info... :p

@ cdeb, I knew it was you that deleted my post <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

sinbad68 wrote: »
    @ cdeb, I knew it was you that deleted my post,

It wasn't cdeb, and your post was not deleted, it was unapproved so the mods could review it.

As to the rest of your post, I'm putting on my Cmod hat for a moment:

Cmod warning: Sinbad, you've been merrily insulting every mod and cmod posting in here for the last while along with every other poster. That's completely counter to the ethos of this entire site and is against the forum charter and has earned you a week's ban from the forum that you're only back from today. If you don't stop, you will be banned permanently.

Sparks wrote: »
    It wasn't cdeb, and your post was not deleted, it was unapproved so the mods could review it.

As to the rest of your post, I'm putting on my Cmod hat for a moment:

Cmod warning: Sinbad, you've been merrily insulting every mod and cmod posting in here for the last while along with every other poster. That's completely counter to the ethos of this entire site and is against the forum charter and has earned you a week's ban from the forum that you're only back from today. If you don't stop, you will be banned permanently.

Sparks, It makes me sad that you are so angry with me, as people who know me will tell you, I am the nicest guy they ever met ! . I am not a fashion expert but I think you are either wearing your moderator hat a bit too low or boards.ie gave you too large a size and it's blocking your vision, otherwise you would see that I am the one that is getting attacked here all the time and I am merely defending myself. I think part of the problem is that like Galileo who was attacked all the time, I'm ahead of my time . I propose an armistice or a Non -aggression pact with moderators here with immediate effect, but if my presence here really upsets you , just ask me not to post and the Genie in the bottle will make your wish come true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Barno

1-9 October 2016!

PokerStars has been replaced with Chess.com - this promises nice coverage.

Line up so far is good (3x 2700+) but will be improved in the next weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Sinbad deletes a lot of posts if he doesn't agree with them. Dunno where anyone got the idea about Cafolla and Fox entering this years IOM tournament, it was last year that they entered. It is an excellent tournament but very tough and, like Gibraltar, having to convert to sterling (even at current rates) makes it very expensive.

Advertisement