Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing Foxglove

Options
  • 25-08-2014 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I would like to grow some foxglove in my garden. I understand you can do this from seed and it is coming close to a good time of year to do so. I'm in the process of doing my garden at the moment, however I hope to have bark mulch put down during Sept. Should I plant the foxglove seeds before or after the bark is done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

just throw the seeds on the soil now where you want them to grow and very lightly rake in. Put the bark on top in Sept. Foxgloves are very easy to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

And don't forget that if you plant seeds this year they will flower in 2 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Silly question, but what happens to foxgloves when they are not growing / in flower? Will they die back and re-grow or will I have greenery in the area the entire time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

mel.b wrote: »
    Silly question, but what happens to foxgloves when they are not growing / in flower? Will they die back and re-grow or will I have greenery in the area the entire time?

In the first year after sowing as seeds they will grow into a low, leafy, "rosette" plant. This will stay intact during the winter and wont die back.
    The following year the large flower spike will grow from the centre of that rosette and after it has flowered and set seed the plant will die.
    If you want a succession of plants you need to sow every year but if its just the wild variety you want they will self seed and in a few years time you'll be dumping seedlings at a great rate. (They seed like mad and will grow in most soils and conditions)

Advertisement