Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics vs Business in one year, on your own.

Options
  • 25-08-2014 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi guys, please help!

Which one should I choose? (I don't think I can get grinds).

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Economics. Business is ridiculously long and requires a lot more learning than Economics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Definitely wouldn't recommend business, we're struggling to cover it in 2 years as it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

I didn't do economics unfortunately (although I'll be doing it in college) but it has to be better than business. Business is so vague, the exam is tight for time, and it isn't all that interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

I do Economics. It's relatively easy to grasp once you understand it. Know how to answer according to the marking schemes. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

Hey :)

I did business on my own this year as an external student along with physics on my own, it took 3 months to cover physics and only 5 to cover business! I got a c2 in physics, and a B1 in business both higher! Business really is a lovely subject just do lots of past exam questions and do an ABQ a week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭IanOBo

apologies I already posted in another thread about this, but is it crazy to take up economics in sixth year?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I did Business on my own starting in sixth year. Aced the mock with an A1 and the real thing with a B1 (which was too low tbh but didn't need to appeal). Economics also looked pretty manageable in a year but I preferred business because a lot of it can be common knowledge.

If you've a good command of English and are fairly good at retaining a few small facts about law and general business, it's a pretty easy subject. My study for it consisted of reading parts of the book about three times and an ABQ question before the real exam. I felt a bit panicky going in because I felt as if I hadn't done enough but it worked out just fine and i'm glad I did it instead of suffering two years of it in school. There's nothing quite as boring as business homework and sitting through 40 minutes of someone more or less reading a book adding on a few anecdotes here and there four times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

Could someone briefly explain the economics paper to me? Like, are there certain units/chapters that will be Q1. on the paper, etc. so that you do not have to cover the whole course in detail? I'm doing business studies which I've done before, and I know that you don't really have to do ALL the units in detail to be able to answer enough of the long questions, so was wondering if economics which I'm considering doing outside of school this year, was the same?

If this is off-topic, PM me?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Shane15 wrote: »
    Could someone briefly explain the economics paper to me? Like, are there certain units/chapters that will be Q1. on the paper, etc. so that you do not have to cover the whole course in detail? I'm doing business studies which I've done before, and I know that you don't really have to do ALL the units in detail to be able to answer enough of the long questions, so was wondering if economics which I'm considering doing outside of school this year, was the same?

If this is off-topic, PM me?

Economics requires you to do 4 out of 8 LQ's. There is usually (but not always) one question on each of the following:

Demand/Supply/Elasticity
    Market structures
    Factors of production
    National Income
    International Trade
    Govt aims and policies (very topical)

If you cover these topics you have most of the paper sorted but for an A1 you would need to do the entire course :)

There are also 9 short Q's on the paper of which you need to do 6. These are usually straightforward if you have a general knowledge of the whole course.

Advertisement