Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Second Car: Mondeo or Focus (saloon or mid-size)??

Options
  • 25-08-2014 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Married with two kids, but more expected at some stage.
    We have always had a big car (currently Mondeo) and a small car (currently Polo). With only two kids, both cars can be used for the full family. As i do a lot of mileage and drive a lot of long journeys, i generally use the Mondeo. I know it gets a lot of slagging here, but i have done €130,000 miles in it, and it has never let me down, so i love it!!!

The polo needs to be replaced soon, and the question is what to replace it with.

As we are open to having more kids, a people carrier is a strong possibility as a long term replacement for the "big car", but that will inevitably become my wifes car, as she tends to do the drop and collect of kids.

So whatever replaces the Polo now will become my car. My wife thinks that a small/middle sized car (such as a Ford Focus) will do me fine. Having driven the Mondeo for the past five years, i love it and it would be great if there is a justification for buying a similar sized car.

In whatever we buy, we will be looking at ~ 3year old cars.

So do you have any comments on small/middle Vs saloon cars? Are saloon cars seen as safer? Is there some reason that saloon cars are also driven by sales reps (i.e, are they better for your back, or safer etc.)?

Is there somewhere that i can check and compare the mpg for cars of a specific engine size and year (e.g., MPG for Mondeo 2L, 2011, Diesel, 130 BHP Vs Focus, 1.6L, 2011, Diesel) etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

You'll get the MPG figs on Honestjohn.co.uk
    that site will also give you common faults ro look out for on these cars. if possible avoid Fords 1.6 tdci as it can be troublesome if not meticulously maintained.

If I was looking at mid size saloons I'd be leaning toward a VW Jetta, A4 or that newish Skoda Rapid. all good build quality and good engines.

Another possibility is the likes of a Nissan Quasqui or similar. Basically there are literally loads of cars to choose from, goctest drive a few and decide from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Parkers.co.uk will go you a good thorough review of any car and give you facts and figures on the MPG/BHP etc. It'll also suggest similar alternatives for the car you're looking at.

I've gone off HonestJohn.co.uk as if you read the common faults for every car, you'll never ever buy another car.

In terms of justification for a Mondeo over a Focus, if that's the one you'd rather, that'd be justification enough for me. I wouldn't think there's much of a difference in the price and running cost of a 3 year old Mondeo compared to a Focus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

The Mondeo will depreciate more than the Focus. Plus it's sometimes much easier to drive a Focus than the cumbersome Mondeo, especially when you envisage having a people carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭CarPark2

Thanks for the responses.
    There is very little difference in purchase price for a 3 year old Mondeo Vs. Focus. I have high mileage, so by the time i am selling, i will get very little anyway, so the depreciation won't be very different either.

So apart from the running costs (i.e., mpg etc), are there practical differentiations between the small/medium cars and the big saloons?

Why do sales reps (who have have high mileage/year) always tend to drive big saloons? Are the saloons safer, better for your back over long distances etc? When you don't need the size to carry passengers, are there any practical reasons to choose a saloon over a small/medium hatchback?

Advertisement