Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time restricted cycling lanes

Options
  • 25-08-2014 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

First noticed this a couple of weeks ago on new cycle lane on Westland Row where sign was put up indicating it was a cycle lane only for peak hours. Have now noticed a few more signs indicating restricted times for cycle lanes on, for example, Northumberland Road where cycle lane apparently only applies between 7am and 7pm!! Anybody else noticed this? What is the intention behind them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Car parking out of hours

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Not on Northumberland Road which is single lane on way out of city. I also don't think parking is allowed on Westland Row between 10am and 4pm on normal weekdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

These have been around years nothing new.

Just cycle lanes are been widened and cars fit in them perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

qb123 wrote: »
    I also don't think parking is allowed on Westland Row between 10am and 4pm on normal weekdays.
    These cycle tracks operate a bit like a clearway - parking permitted off peak times e.g. 7pm to 7am. They have been around for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭SilverLiningOK

This practice needs to stop. They should be cycle lanes 24/7. Why not ? Why should people cycling off peak weekdays and weekends not have access to the same infrastructure ? Cycling is not confined to commuting hours, which is what the council seems to believe. Anyway encouraging further on steet parking in the city centre is not a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,030 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Anyway encouraging further on street parking in the city centre is not a good thing.
    Why is off-peak on-street parking a problem?

I often drive into town in the late evenings when traffic is light to get stuff done (e.g. humping heavy equipment between offices). On-street parking is really useful. Should I feel bad about doing so? What alternative means of transport do you propose I use? Cargo bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

This practice needs to stop. They should be cycle lanes 24/7. Why not ? Why should people cycling off peak weekdays and weekends not have access to the same infrastructure ? Cycling is not confined to commuting hours, which is what the council seems to believe. Anyway encouraging further on steet parking in the city centre is not a good thing.

The purpose is exactly the same as with peak time bus lanes- you get the benefit of a less congested run at the busiest times and its a regular road when not needed. Given cyclists are not obliged to use cycle lanes and traffic should be light off peak I don't see the problem. If anything we should encourage motorists to fit their city centre journeys into off peak times

Anyway encouraging further on steet parking in the city centre is not a good thing.
    Why not? It encourages people to visit the city centre at off peak times which benefits restaurants, pubs, cinemas, shops etc. It's great on Sundays for those who wish to visit museums, art gallerys etc. I love the fact that I can drive to a restaurant with my wife and park on street.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Car parking out of hours

Westland row at Pearse station seems to have morphed into an unofficial taxi rank.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

I think it's worth pointing out that I've no issue with providing on-street parking for cars at off-peak times. My issue is that several of the signs I've seen don't allow for parking at any time as they're on single lane or busy dual lane roads. In these cases I believe the signal it sends is that cyclists are less legitimate road users than at other times - it also gives cars even more of an excuse to stray into the cycle lanes (not that they're religiously obeyed anyway).

• Advertisement

People are not forced to use their car to visit Dublin city centre, they can use public transport or shock horror even cycle. Why would anyone need to drive into the city centre ? The alternatives are far more desirable than the highly space inefficient motor car. I haven't driven into the centre of Dublin for years, the car is mostly reserved of out of town trips. Believe it or not, the bicycle is not exclusively for sports or commuting, it is actually a very convenient urban mode of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭simplybam

qb123 wrote: »
    I think it's worth pointing out that I've no issue with providing on-street parking for cars at off-peak times. My issue is that several of the signs I've seen don't allow for parking at any time as they're on single lane or busy dual lane roads. In these cases I believe the signal it sends is that cyclists are less legitimate road users than at other times - it also gives cars even more of an excuse to stray into the cycle lanes (not that they're religiously obeyed anyway).
    People are not forced to use their car to visit Dublin city centre, they can use public transport or shock horror even cycle. Why would anyone need to drive into the city centre ? The alternatives are far more desirable than the highly space inefficient motor car. I haven't driven into the centre of Dublin for years, the car is mostly reserved of out of town trips. Believe it or not, the bicycle is not exclusively for sports or commuting, it is actually a very convenient urban mode of transport.

What a load of ....

hmm.. if I actually say what I want to say, I'll get myself banned.

Carry on so - nothing to see here!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,030 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Why would anyone need to drive into the city centre ? The alternatives are far more desirable than the highly space inefficient motor car. I haven't driven into the centre of Dublin for years, the car is mostly reserved of out of town trips. Believe it or not, the bicycle is not exclusively for sports or commuting, it is actually a very convenient urban mode of transport.
    I'm pleased that you have an existence which involves only transporting your own body from point A to point B, but you demonstrate an astonishing ignorance of other people's lives.

My wife, for instance, often has to attend to meetings in Dublin city centre (to which she has to carry large amounts of files, plus a portable scanner and printer) in the morning then a couple of hours later in Wexford. We live near Blanchardstown and she drops the kids at school on the way in and picks them up from childcare on the way home.

If she attempted this by bicycle and public transport her working day would be about 24 hours long and the kids would be in State care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

So everyone should use buses or bikes because it suits you? I was helping a friend move apartment last week and we used my motor, You suggest we do that on bike? How about if i want to go to for a meal in the evening, should my mrs not wear a nice dress because she has to stand in the rain waiting for a bus in case we upset (a minority of) cyclists?

Lumen wrote: »
    I'm pleased that you have an existence which involves only transporting your own body from point A to point B, but you demonstrate an astonishing ignorance of other people's lives.

My wife, for instance, often has to attend to meetings in Dublin city centre (to which she has to carry large amounts of files, plus a portable scanner and printer) in the morning then a couple of hours later in Wexford. We live near Blanchardstown and she drops the kids at school on the way in and picks them up from childcare on the way home.

If she attempted this by bicycle and public transport her working day would be about 24 hours long and the kids would be in State care.

Of course, travelling by bicycle doesn't suit everyone's needs but many people choose the car as the default even for very short journies. In the Netherlands and Denmark, many school runs would be done by bike and people do manage to carry loads quite easily with them. It all depends on using a suitable utility bicycle equipped for such tasks. I know that wouldn't work for everyone but many would be abe to adapt if they gave it a go, even for a few days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I walk

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

For the record: I think there is a place for car use in the city -- and public transport and cycling clearly does not suit everybody at all times for all types of trips.
    Why not? It encourages people to visit the city centre at off peak times which benefits restaurants, pubs, cinemas, shops etc. It's great on Sundays for those who wish to visit museums, art gallerys etc. I love the fact that I can drive to a restaurant with my wife and park on street.

Because 24 hour cycle lanes / paths / etc are needed to get anywhere near the targets for cycling. Dublin needs to get to its targets for cycling to keep access to the city open for business and residents with a growing population -- the public transport investment needed to keep Dublin moving over the next 20 years is likely now out of reach (BRT, small bits of extra Luas, and Dart Underground will only go so far). Cycling is fairly key to the plan to keep Dublin moving and giving inaction on larger investment which shows no signs of changing, cycling is only becoming a more and more important part of that plan.

Visiting restaurants, pubs, cinemas, shops, museums, and art gallerys should all be accessible by cycling and public transport.

Off-street car parking, limited on-street parking, and park-and-ride are also part of the plan for those who need it.

I'm just after remembering that cities around the world are closing off streets to motor traffic on Sundays. Los Angeles -- which is famed for being car-centric -- closes off 16km of Downtown streets every month or two. Meanwhile, in Dublin, most cycle lanes are turned into a free-for-alls every Sunday.

monument wrote: »
    ....Visiting restaurants, pubs, cinemas, shops, museums, and art gallerys should all be accessible by cycling and public transport...
    In sweaty lycra with cycling shoes and a helmet! Not to mention that Mrs WA wouldn't be impressed arriving at Chapter One on the crossbar! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

monument wrote: »
    I'm just after remembering that cities around the world are closing off streets to motor traffic on Sundays. Los Angeles -- which is famed for being car-centric -- closes off 16km of Downtown streets every month or two. Meanwhile, in Dublin, most cycle lanes are turned into a free-for-alls every Sunday.

Phoenix park closes some of chesterfield Avenues as well. Different matter with the cycle lanes there - joggers, walkers, kids on scooters....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Most cycle lanes around have them. I've been cycling 2 and a bit years now and I only noticed it one day coming home from work as I took a half days leave. Similar to bus lanes, at certain times some lanes are restricted.

Also as has been posted here many times, cycle lanes (on road ones) with dotted lines are shared by all road users.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Phoenix park closes some of chesterfield Avenues as well. Different matter with the cycle lanes there - joggers, walkers, kids on scooters....

They are very much so behind on parks doing so and they strangely picked one of the least busy sections. Choosing most of the avenue, or at the very least the main gate to the zoo roundabout or the zoo car park to the second roundabout would -- both allowing for access to the zoo and its car park -- would have been more in line with

Central Park in NYC has far more restrictive permanent and temporary access which results in large detours: http://www.centralpark.com/guide/general-info/park-drive-regulations.html

The city has also reallocated road space to non-motor traffic. For example, to allow for more walking, running, and slow and fast cycling lane: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/pr2012/pr12_52.shtml

While Central Park is not directly comparable, we just have to look at how cycling and walking are treated with very limited space on the main avenue close to the city side where it's most busy -- from the fairly narrow shared use paths before zoo roundabout to the regular parking in the cycle lane between the zoo roundabout and the zoo car park.

In sweaty lycra with cycling shoes and a helmet! Not to mention that Mrs WA wouldn't be impressed arriving at Chapter One on the crossbar! :D

There's more than one option... ;)

The Bullett: https://www.flickr.com/photos/16nine/14857544570/

The backer: https://www.flickr.com/photos/16nine/4748719468

The transporter: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mindcaster-ezzolicious/5660996615/in/set-72157626466888375

The bar: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mindcaster-ezzolicious/6117786769/in/set-72157627602908500

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Yeah,

Here is a photo of Kimmage Road upper. I hadn't been on this section for ages till last week when I noticed the cycle track sign had an extra sticker on it showing the active times of the cycle track. I'm pretty sure it was a longer period before...

WP_004885_zps90ce4ed7.jpg

And there are plenty of photos of women cycling in dresses...as monument has shown...

Advertisement