Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WP8.1 stuck in English UK language (Unable to download English US Speech / Language)

Options
  • 25-08-2014 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I've run into a weird problem on my Lumia 920 (with Cyan and Win 8.1 update 1 Developer Preview) and was wondering if anyone else has seen this or had any tips.

Background / description
    I was running Windows 8.1 update 1 developer preview (everything set to US to get Cortana to work) and it was all working perfectly.
    I saw that Cyan was now available for the UK Country Variant 920, so used the Nokia Software Recovery Tool to wipe / reset the phone to the latest software level.

As this now has the English UK Cortana, I decided to set the phone up with UK regional and language settings to try this out (Getting the temperature in Celsius is the main benefit here).

It seemed to work OK, but I noticed the voice a bit flat (an issue MS is working on, apparently) and also I got the feeling that the voice recognition isn't doing as good a job as it used to. And, in general I missed Jen Taylor's delivery, there was a lot more personality to it.

Anyway, I tried to set the phone back up with US region, language, keyboard and speech settings to get back to the true Cortana experience. But, it won't let me install the US language.

When I try to install the Speech settings (Settings > Speech > Speech Language) and select "English (United States)" it prompts to "Download the Speech language .... speech support (63MB)" and I click Yes to proceed.

It just returns the error Couldn't Download. Tap to retry. If I tap to retry, it just goes around in a circle - I have to click Yes to download the speech pack, it tries to download and gives the error.

Troubleshooting Steps
    I've tried the following steps, each without success:
    1. Soft Reboot the phone.
    2. Turn off Wi-Fi and use Mobile Data Only
    3. Turn of Mobile Data and use Wi-Fi only
    4. Hard reboot the Phone (Power and Volume Down)
    5. Reset the phone and configure as new phone.
    6. I tried to download the English (India) speech pack and had the same issue.

Help Request
    Has anyone encountered this before?

Any tips or advice greatly appreciated if you have experienced the same issue before or could help resolve the issue.

Thanks in advance.
    F.

Advertisement