Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood Pellet Stove- Really need help.

Options
  • 25-08-2014 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi all,
    I am looking to install a wood pellet stove.

I live in a 1600 sqft duplex apartment which is open plan and poorly insulated. As the only means of heat presently are storage heaters, I need to install a better source of heating so that I can eliminate the need for storage heaters. The past few winters have been far to cold to continue as I am.

I had initially been looking at a Thermatech/ Nestor Martin wood burning stove but having to install a flue and the thought of bringing logs up to the apartment really turned me off this idea.
    So I think a wood pellet stove might be a better option. I am looking for advice though on the performance of the Extraflame range, the Emma, Melinda Steel Air and Souvenir Steel range in particular.
    Could anybody please give me some insight into how these preform. This is taking the last of my savings and so I'm anxious to invest wisely!!!
    thanks in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gaeilge

Google pellet burner reviews and you may find they aren't the answer that they proclaimed to be. You'd be much better off getting a free insulation quote to see where you can improve with your heat retention. There are low cost fixes such as ceiling insulation, higher cost them being double glazing or cavity insulation. But if you don't get insulated, it won't matter what heating you use you'll pay to have it disappear through the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

Hi,

Woodpellet Stoves are an amazing investment. Once you have it installed and commissioned correctly and you store the pellets correctly you should have no running issues.

I can only speak from an Extraflame point of view (as opposed to other brands) as my company are the official installers of Extraflame stoves in the the Galway and surrounding area.

If you are looking at the Emma, Melinda or Souvenir range it must be a sizable area you are looking to heat. But as they are convectional room heaters, they do heat a large area much better than a traditional solid fuel stove. (and for a fraction of the price when compared to buying other fuels).

Not only the cost of running, but also the convenience of these stove are what make them an attractive option;

You can time them to turn on/off by themselves.
    You only have to empty the ash once a month.
    They are thermostatically controlled heat, so you set the temperature you want in the room.

I would still agree with the other poster, Insulation is vital. It is all well and good creating good, sustainable heat but you are fighting against yourself if you are losing it too easy.

Please feel free to PM me if you want any specific information.
    Hi all,
    I am looking to install a wood pellet stove.

I live in a 1600 sqft duplex apartment which is open plan and poorly insulated. As the only means of heat presently are storage heaters, I need to install a better source of heating so that I can eliminate the need for storage heaters. The past few winters have been far to cold to continue as I am.

I had initially been looking at a Thermatech/ Nestor Martin wood burning stove but having to install a flue and the thought of bringing logs up to the apartment really turned me off this idea.
    So I think a wood pellet stove might be a better option. I am looking for advice though on the performance of the Extraflame range, the Emma, Melinda Steel Air and Souvenir Steel range in particular.
    Could anybody please give me some insight into how these preform. This is taking the last of my savings and so I'm anxious to invest wisely!!!
    thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 collinseliza

Thanks to you both, that is really helpful. I agree with regards to insulation and that is the next stage of this adventure I have found myself on. I have a great place to store the pellets and so I am confident in relation to that as I understand that storing them in the correct location is of paramount importance.
    Realmccoy, in relation to the three types I am looking at, which one would you suggest. I think it would like the casing black but I haven't been able to see how industrial it might look. Can you tell me which of the three are the most popular?

thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

Thanks to you both, that is really helpful. I agree with regards to insulation and that is the next stage of this adventure I have found myself on. I have a great place to store the pellets and so I am confident in relation to that as I understand that storing them in the correct location is of paramount importance.
    Realmccoy, in relation to the three types I am looking at, which one would you suggest. I think it would like the casing black but I haven't been able to see how industrial it might look. Can you tell me which of the three are the most popular?

thanks again!

Depending on the size of the area you are trying to heat, I'd probably go for the Emma. We sell more of those, especially the Emma Plus. (Can vent off to heat a second room if needs be). I think its a nicer looking stove than the Melinda. The Souvenir is a different looking one tho, more unique. If you are caught for space then it might be a better option as its less than 12" in depth, but wider.

I can send you over a couple of pics of installs we have done on these if you want to PM me an email address. Give you an idea of what they are like in situ.

Advertisement