Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1,900 Computer build.

Options
  • 25-08-2014 3:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Would it be possible for someone have a look through this build and say if there's any issues? I'll explain why I'm choosing each part too. Thank you. :)

Cpu: Intel Core i7-4790K

I realise a gamer getting an i7 is not a very smart choice (currently), however, this build is entirely based on future proofing. It is a high possibility that in the future games may start taking advantage of Hyperthreading and using a higher amount from the L3 cache. However, I'm completely open to any suggestions about either getting the i5 or even going for an AMD, however, keep in mind this's for future proofing as I wont be upgrading for a long time.

____________________________________________________________________________
    Gpu: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked w/ ACX Cooler

Yes, yes, I realise the R9 290X is a good card and that it's cheaper etc. However, currently AMD's drivers as causing havoc with graphics cards. Personally, I feel that if a company such as AMD can't even get their drivers correct, they don't deserve the money that would be paid for the 290X. However, if AMD had gotten their drivers sorted by now, I'd have no problem with getting an R9 290X. The reviews are just positively scary to look at how many people say they're having issues with it.

Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO, Sockel 1150, ATX

Okay, so I have heard there's a few issues with the Intel Core i7-4790K and the Maximus VII Hero when put together. One of which is:
    What I found is that the automatic voltage settings on my motherboard (Asus Maximus VII Hero) were setting the voltage much, much higher than it needed to be, generating excessive heat. By setting the voltage mode to 'Adaptive' instead of 'Auto', and then lowering the max voltage using the offset values, I can achieve temps 10-25C cooler (depending on the kind of stress test) than before.

I'm not sure how many people have this issue.

However, I realise the motherboard is the most important component as if that decides it wants to... Die. Then your computer is at serious risk of burning out or worse. I'm wondering would anybody feel like the Maximus VII Hero isn't a good enough motherboard for this build?

Solid-State Drive: Samsung SSD 840 EVO Basic 250GB SATA 6Gb/s

I feel that's fairly self-explanatory, however, if anyone knows of a better SSD, your help is much appreciated! - I know very little about them hehe.

Case: NZXT Phantom Big Tower - White

Mainly, for this case, it's just so much appearance. However, the reason I went for a full tower is that the GPU is obviously quite large and that a full-tower will make wire-management a lot easier and the computer will be a lot tidier. Obviously, if anyone feels this case is not good enough for the build, please say it. :)

Power-Supply: Corsair Professional Series Platinum AX860i

Okay, so I must admit that when it comes to power-supplies, I have no idea how to calculate the total required power. Tried using calculators online, didn't exactly work out. :P

I decided to go for the AX860i for the fact:

1. It's modular.
    2. It's 80 PLUS Platinum and so is obviously reliable.
    3. I assumed the computer would required a lot of power.

Any help with the Power-supply is appreciated but if possible, I'd love it to remain a modular power supply. :)

RAM: 16GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile

Ripjaws were strongly considered although I went for Corsair Vengeance in the end. However, if RipJaws would be better, please say so.

Also in the build is:

Hard-drive:

Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s

Drive:

ASUS DRW-24F1ST (Bulk) Silent

CPU Cooler:

NOCTUA NH-U14S

Case Fans:

AeroCool Dead Silence Blue Edition 120mm --- x2
    AeroCool Dead Silence Blue Edition 140mm
    Thermaltake Case Lüfter 23cm /Blue LED /Slient

As you can guess, I love blue with the white case. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Ninjah Tigah

Decided to go with the ASRock Z97 OC Formula for the motherboard, apparently the Intel Core i7-4790K has issues with the ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO. Plus, good to keep my options open for Over-clocking as the Maximus isn't the best for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

Decided to go with the ASRock Z97M OC Formula for the motherboard, apparently the Intel Core i7-4790K has issues with the ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO. Plus, good to keep my options open for Over-clocking as the Maximus isn't the best for that.

Are you going looking for issues through Google? If that's the case, then you're going to find issues with most things. Everybody with issues will be talking about, yet people without, will be happily mute whilst they game.

The whole system seems good and there are no issues with compatibility or anything like that, although your reasoning for a full tower seem a bit miffed. Any mid tower case will have ample cable management for what you have. A full tower isn't a necessity for cable management, although if you like its looks then there is no reason not to get it. I personally love the Corsair 760T 'white' full tower. ;)

Are you going looking for issues through Google? If that's the case, then you're going to find issues with most things. Everybody with issues will be talking about, yet people without, will be happily mute whilst they game.

The whole system seems good and there are no issues with compatibility or anything like that, although your reasoning for a full tower seem a bit miffed. Any mid tower case will have ample cable management for what you have. A full tower isn't a necessity for cable management, although if you like its looks then there is no reason not to get it. I personally love the Corsair 760T 'white' full tower. ;)

Oh, no, I was looking at reviews of the motherboard and of course, people only talk about it when there's a problem but it just seems to be quite a common problem with that particular model of CPU. - Didn't even enter anything regarding the cpu into google, just the motherboard. Obviously if you look hard enough for issues, you'll find them, I'm just looking for reviews and obviously there's always going to be people who just say that they don't like something because they're fan boys of the other product. However, I tend to look at the highest rated reviews and then see what cons they found. :)

Also, yeah, I know a full-tower is overkill somewhat for what's contained in it. However, the size of the CPU cooler, the graphics card and the power-supply would just mean that the tower would be much more spacious. Possibly the OCD kicking in with the cables. Also, the Corsair 760T does look nice. Can't find it on Hardwareversand though - The computer is being built by them before delivery as last time I assembled it but just would prefer to have it ready to go when it gets here. ^^

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

NVidia will likely announce their new 800 Maxwell series in mid September. No hard facts yet, but the available info indicates that we will see GTX 880/870 models that offer improved price/performance ratio versus the 780 and 780ti.

Luck100 wrote: »
    NVidia will likely announce their new 800 Maxwell series in mid September. No hard facts yet, but the available info indicates that we will see GTX 880/870 models that offer improved price/performance ratio versus the 780 and 780ti.

Thank you very much for that post, decided to wait until the GTX 800 series comes out. Since there should be the new batch of CPU's and the new DDR4 Mobo will be on Hardwareversand. Thanks for that post, didn't actually think about that. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement