Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best MPG Reliabe car

Options
  • 24-08-2014 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

I don't really care about looks or power. As long at its comfortable doing 120 KM/H i'm happy. Budget would be 5k. I would be doing 4500 KM's roughly a month. Looking for a car with the best MPG possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Prius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Dowl88

Arn't they petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Feck the prius

Bme 530D gets the same or if not better mpg.

Or a 1.6hdi / tdci engine small car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Dowl88 wrote: »
    Arn't they petrol?

Petrol hybrid. Expect 60mpg, fairly hard to get much better than that for 5k or less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Feck the prius

Bme 530D gets the same or if not better mpg.

Or a 1.6hdi / tdci engine small car

i'd wager the overall running costs of a prius would come to close to half that of a 530d.

wouldn't go near a 1.6psa with a barge pole personally. just saying.

the prius is a sensible option imo, you'l pretty much always be north of 50mpg and they are proving to be pretty bulletproof. the only problem is the availability is limited below €5k.

i'd wager the overall running costs of a prius would come to close to half that of a 530d.

wouldn't go near a 1.6psa with a barge pole personally. just saying.

the prius is a sensible option imo, you'l pretty much always be north of 50mpg and they are proving to be pretty bulletproof. the only problem is the availability is limited below €5k.

Where as I've been getting over 60mpg from my psa 1.6tdci focus which cost me 2k sterling + 500 euro import for top of the range ghia.

Cheers !

Where as I've been getting over 60mpg from my psa 1.6tdci focus which cost me 2k sterling + 500 euro import for top of the range ghia.

Cheers !

i never said you didn't :confused:

i never said you didn't :confused:

Sorry that didnt mean to sound like i was having a go or anything.

I was just stating the op would save more in the long run , giving the amount of miles that will be done that it would be better to go diesel.

A 1.6tdci engine car will be cheaper than a prius and diesel is a good 10c cheaper a liter.

The tax band for both cars are very similar too, 1.5 vs 1.6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

4500 km per month wont want to be stuck in a city car prius playing around trying to tease 60mpg out of it.

You in the diesel camp for sure.
    Most of the 2 liter diesels will suitable for the motorway and high mileage.

The smaller 1.5 or 1.6 diesels would be more efficient but the extra bhp of the 2 liter would be nicer if your on the road that much.

If you can find a nice 6 speed it be even more pleasurable.

• Advertisement

i don't see the benefit of going diesel if the cost price of the car is the same. also when was the prius a city car?

the focus quotes 58mpg motorway, with diesel @ €1.45, driving 2800 miles (4k kms per month) would cost €317
    the prius quotes 65mpg motorway, with petrol @€;1.50, driving 2800 miles (4k kms per month) would cost € 293

317 x 12 = €3804 , 293 x 12 = €3516, so €300 per year less in fuel to drive the prius. it's a close call, i'l give you that but the prius is out in front. before we mention the slightly cheaper tax, cheaper maintenance, less likelyhood of a breakdown in the prius and it just generally being a nicer car (imo of course). the prius get a lot of stick but they are well spec'd and look quite nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Dowl88

Cheers for the reponses so far!

How are the Mondeo Diesels?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Arn't they petrol?
    You never stated a fuel preference...
    Cheers for the reponses so far!

How are the Mondeo Diesels?
    Grand, just grand. I'll let them know you were asking after them. :)

So, diesel, reliable, frugal on fuel, up to €5k. Tell us a bit more though.

Maintenance costs, resale value, insurance and motor tax maximum, passengers, safety etc. etc.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement