Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a Grotto in Wicklow

Options
  • 24-08-2014 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

A few years ago, while out in Wicklow with friends, we came across a roadside shrine or grotto somewhere... It wasn't a Marian year shrine, it seemed maybe to be a holy well or something, but quite elaborate, with lots of things. I've never been able to find it again.

Can anyone help me find it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

County Wicklow is huge you'll need to give a few more ideas on the general whereabouts

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

County Wicklow is huge

I know!
    you'll need to give a few more ideas on the general whereabouts

Ah, if I only knew that, I wouldn't be here asking :o

All I can say is, it didn't look like an official Marian shrine, just a roadside thing, might have been put up by a local resident. And it was in the wilds of Wicklow somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I know!

Ah, if I only knew that, I wouldn't be here asking :o

All I can say is, it didn't look like an official Marian shrine, just a roadside thing, might have been put up by a local resident. And it was in the wilds of Wicklow somewhere.

Yeah but like surely you must have an idea of the general area? Was it near Arklow? Wicklow Town? Blessington?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Yeah but like surely you must have an idea of the general area? Was it near Arklow? Wicklow Town? Blessington?

No, no idea - I wasn't driving, I was just out with people who wanted to go for a drive. However, a little more googling has me wondering was it at Greenan, near Rathdrum - a Marian year shrine, but most unusual. Does anyone know where exactly it is, so I can go have another look at it? Many thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

There's a small one on the road from Kilmacanogue to Roundwood about a mile from Kilmac in a Rocky area

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

No, no idea - I wasn't driving, I was just out with people who wanted to go for a drive. However, a little more googling has me wondering was it at Greenan, near Rathdrum - a Marian year shrine, but most unusual. Does anyone know where exactly it is, so I can go have another look at it? Many thanks!

There are about three of them within 5 miles of Rathdrum

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

Advertisement