Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am I cutting it too close?

Options
  • 24-08-2014 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭

As some of you know I'm getting a newer car in October and I also work abroad most of the year.
    I'm flying back to Ireland on the 17th of October and planning on booking the ferry back over on the 25th of October.
    Basically I would need to have the documents of the car in my possession by the morning of the 25th.
    The 17th is a Friday so I wouldn't be able to get the car until the 18th which means the logbook wouldn't be in Shannon by Monday even with priority.
    In this case I'm looking at 2 options.
    Option 1: Risk it and bring an envelope with priority status and go with the seller to the post office on Saturday and pray Shannon receive it in enough time - I believe I have the option of going to Shannon in person to collect it.
    Option 2: try and fly out a weekend or so beforehand and purchase the car so that I've enough time to allow the book to arrive
    The risk with option 2 is that I may not get any time off to come and purchase the car.
    Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

IMO you have no chance of obtaining VRC in your name within time you have.

If it was me, I'd take a copy of original (previous owner) VRC and chance to drive abroad with it. You can always explain, you just bought the car, but process of obtaining VRC in your name takes few weeks in Ireland, that's why you have copy of previous owner VRC with you. Obviously you should have insurance cert and preferably NCT cert with you.
    Chance of being pulled over on journey between Ireland and where I think you are going, are not that great.
    And once VRC arrives on your Irish address, you can ask someone to post it to you abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Yeah the chances aren't that high but there is always a risk.
    I think at this point I'm going to book a flight for a weekend before my main trip to Ireland, buy the car which then gives me just about 2 weeks for the logbook to arrive in my name.
    Probably the safest bet.
    Of course, the problem I've realised now is that I can't book the ferry as I won't know what the make/model and plate will be :/

bear1 wrote: »
    Yeah the chances aren't that high but there is always a risk.
    I think at this point I'm going to book a flight for a weekend before my main trip to Ireland, buy the car which then gives me just about 2 weeks for the logbook to arrive in my name.
    Probably the safest bet.
    Well - don't underestimate the slackiness of Irish public servants working in places like that.
    While Shannon was usually fairly good with sending VRC quickly, but still - there's no guarantee you will get it in 2 weeks.
    Of course, the problem I've realised now is that I can't book the ferry as I won't know what the make/model and plate will be :/

Of course you can. Just give them any make/model and plate number, and once you get a car you ring them and tell them you decided to go in different car. There will be no problem with that whatsoever, and no extra charges.

I didn't know I could do that with IF. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

You could well be waiting more than 2 weeks. Last log book I sent off took 2 weeks. The previous two before that took nearly a month.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's also a risk but less risky than waiting 4 days for it to arrive.
    The logbook could take 2 weeks to arrive but the moment my name has been entered into the computer at least, I could go to the county council and have them print off a copy as proof of ownership.
    I did this once and there were no issues and it's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Make sure you bring a stamped, addressed envelope with you when you buy the car and watch the seller of car put the vehicle registration form in the post ... At least you know that's done, and you won't be blaming Shannon while the form is sitting on the sellers mantelpiece

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Make sure you bring a stamped, addressed envelope with you when you buy the car and watch the seller of car put the vehicle registration form in the post ... At least you know that's done, and you won't be blaming Shannon while the form is sitting on the sellers mantelpiece

I will be, going to buy a priority stamp with it as well so that I know for sure it will get to Shannon.
    Thanks all the same :)

CiniO wrote: »
    Well - don't underestimate the slackiness of Irish public servants working in places like that.
    While Shannon was usually fairly good with sending VRC quickly, but still - there's no guarantee you will get it in 2 weeks.

Of course you can. Just give them any make/model and plate number, and once you get a car you ring them and tell them you decided to go in different car. There will be no problem with that whatsoever, and no extra charges.

I'm going to book the ferry today, I will use my existing cars' details and then call once I've bought the car and have them changed.
    Is it 100% for sure that I won't have to pay an amendment fee?

I'm going to book the ferry today, I will use my existing cars' details and then call once I've bought the car and have them changed.
    Is it 100% for sure that I won't have to pay an amendment fee?

Well I did it once with stenaline and didn't have to pay anything extra.
    However yesterday after replying to you I looked up stenaline faq and it says about 10euro amenment fee. It also says in case reg number is not known at time of yhe booking to just enter TBC in the online form instead of reg no. I'd give them a ring to confirm 100. But in my experience theres never any trobke with ferry companies. I amended car once. I amended dates in the last moment. I arrived for earlier sailing fairy often and I always got sorted out no bother without any extra charges. And I cross between ireland and continent at least twice a year fir the last 5 years.
    btw - which route are you sailing?

• Advertisement

I wanted to do the Dublin-Cherbourh route but I would then have to drive 2k km straight just to get to work on time.
    So I'm doing the Rosslare-Cherbourg route, 2 adults, car, and a 2 star room is coming up at 190e which is quite good imo.
    I've booked my flights so that I now come a bit earlier to buy the car and fly back. Then a week later I'm back for 10 days and drive back.
    I've emailed IF about the amendment fee so I'm still waiting to hear back from them.
    Thanks to all for the advice btw :)

Ok so I have now booked the ferry.
    Changes the car details are for free, all you have to do is go to the manage booking option and change the details there. Simples.
    Happy camper right here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Alfa?

Alfa?

Am I buying an Alfa?
    I wish :/ wife is still angry after the attention I gave the first one :pac:
    I've a thread on this as well, most likely a Saab or Honda... "sigh" or Avensis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Am I buying an Alfa?
    I wish :/ wife is still angry after the attention I gave the first one :pac:
    I've a thread on this as well, most likely a Saab or Honda... "sigh" or Avensis.
    Ah god please don't make it an Avensis :( Good luck with it anyway.

Ah god please don't make it an Avensis :( Good luck with it anyway.

I'll try dear friend... I'll try.

Advertisement