Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'cash for cars' signs?

Options
  • 24-08-2014 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

Hi hope this is in correct place, but was wondering whats the story with all the 'cash for cars' signs I see everywhere i go. As im going to get rid of an older untidyish bmw that i prob wouldnt sell in normal circumstances. ie oil leak,no tax or nct etc, i was wondering where these 'cash for cars' end up?
    will they take anything:D:D:D:D
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭dbrunson

yep. standard offer is 100-120 euro's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,289 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The lowest level of traders, they're looking to turn over stock very quickly making a small margin on each one. To do this they need to squeeze you on the price they pay you and pose as private sellers when moving it on. They'll generally carry no overheads like premises and will do as little as possible to prepare the car for sale. If you're selling, you'll almost certainly do better selling private. Buying, avoid like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭rje66

thanks guys, just the type of info i was after

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

rje66 wrote: »
    thanks guys, just the type of info i was after

What type bmw? Might no someone interested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Unless it has trees growing out of it, someone will always be willing to throw a few hundred your way on done deal.

• Advertisement

I should just add that given the proliferation of these cash for cars merchants, if you’re looking to buy a sub €2k car privately and the seller want’s to meet you in a random public place it’s worth giving their number a call from another phone and ask if they do cash for cars ;).
    There really does need to be something done about this on so many levels
    • Consumer Protection – if they’re dealers selling to the public, the cars they’re selling must be of merchantable quality
    • Protection of the folk they’re buying cars from – most of these guys don’t want their name on the VLC and will try and walk away with the VLC in their hand leaving the seller exposed to tolls and fines (I know this is the sellers responsibility but I’m sure the cash for cars merchants work their charm or whatever it takes to walk away with the VLC)
    • General law and order – how many of these cars become so called ‘Company Cars’? Once the cash for cars merchants are getting their cash, they don’t care where they go or how they’re registered as long as they can’t be tracked back to them
    • Revenue – are these guys paying tax on their earnings from Cash for Cars?
    • Road safety – how many of these stupid signs are placed on safety barriers and traffic lights where they obscure drivers views

I’m going to revise my position on selling a car to these folk, be more responsible, don’t do it. Plague them with calls if you like, waste their time, but don’t feed the monster.

There may be some exceptions if it's an established dealer with a premises that puts their name and reputation on the line but for the most part these guys just use unregistered mobile phones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

alias no.9 wrote: »
    I should just add that given the proliferation of these cash for cars merchants, if you’re looking to buy a sub €2k car privately and the seller want’s to meet you in a random public place it’s worth giving their number a call from another phone and ask if they do cash for cars ;).
    There really does need to be something done about this on so many levels
    • Consumer Protection – if they’re dealers selling to the public, the cars they’re selling must be of merchantable quality
    • Protection of the folk they’re buying cars from – most of these guys don’t want their name on the VLC and will try and walk away with the VLC in their hand leaving the seller exposed to tolls and fines (I know this is the sellers responsibility but I’m sure the cash for cars merchants work their charm or whatever it takes to walk away with the VLC)
    • General law and order – how many of these cars become so called ‘Company Cars’? Once the cash for cars merchants are getting their cash, they don’t care where they go or how they’re registered as long as they can’t be tracked back to them
    • Revenue – are these guys paying tax on their earnings from Cash for Cars?
      [*]Road safety – how many of these stupid signs are placed on safety barriers and traffic lights where they obscure drivers views

I’m going to revise my position on selling a car to these folk, be more responsible, don’t do it. Plague them with calls if you like, waste their time, but don’t feed the monster.

There may be some exceptions if it's an established dealer with a premises and puts their name and reputation on the line but for the most part these guys just use unregistered mobile phones

Ring up the local council about any signs you see, you need permission to put them up and I've seen cases where they send someone out to take them down and track down the poster to tell them there is a fine if they do it again.

my3cents wrote: »
    Ring up the local council about any signs you see, you need permission to put them up and I've seen cases where they send someone out to take them down and track down the poster to tell them there is a fine if they do it again.

Unless they're going to setup a sting to meet these guys in person, they won't track them down, never mind fine them, it'll just be a new SIM and new sign. They probably roll through SIM's weekly anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would stay well clear of these groups that have their signs and stickers littering our landscape and people and the council should be taking them down.

Prank phone calls.. Imagine the fun you could have winding these guys up as what they are doing is illegal as I said litter.

They scrap cars all the time and don't care where the harmful and lethal chemicals,oil and fuel are dumped as this is done in fields most don't even have a licence and definitely do not pay tax.

Revenue, social welfare and the council should be chasing them down.
    085<snip> I have seen these signs literally all over Dublin and beyond.

This should be stopped I am sick of seeing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Unless they're going to setup a sting to meet these guys in person, they won't track them down, never mind fine them.

I agree, in an instance I know of were someone put up signs advertising a new business thats what the council did, but in this case if they just take them down thats a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I know some who sold a car to one of these outfits, sounded fine on the phone, very rough crew turned up, all but helped themselves to the car for €100, was little in the way of negotiation. Unless you have a heap of junk and just want shot of it I would steer clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I could put up a load of cash for cars ads. Say I had a budget of €1000. I view 5 cars that look and sound good mechanically. Offer them €200 to take away. Budget for oil changes and spark plugs. Give them a good cleaning. Put them on dungdeal, turn a profit.

All you're doing is paying someone to take away a car you lost interest in or is in poor condition. Either way you're better off selling it yourself. All you're doing with these guys is throwing away money.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,113 ✭✭✭✭Esel

OSI wrote: »
    Tried one of these for the craic when I was looking to get rid of a Hyundai Coupe we had sitting up for 2 years. Rang him, listed every little detail that was wrong with the car, "best I can do is €150". Said I couldn't let it go that low as I'd get more for just the engine. "Sure let me pop round and have a look at it and I'll see what I can do"

2 days later a traveller turns up with his father who supposedly spoke english but certainly didn't sound like it. Turned up in an untaxed uninsured 2009 VW Touran. They proceeded to rip it to shreds telling me I lied to them about it saying it was perfect, when I had clearly told them every fault they had just thrown in my face. They then said I could have €50. I told them no. "You're only f******g wasting me time, do ya want the money or do ya not"

Sold it to a part time mechanic 3 days later for 400 quid.
    There is one word in the post above that says it all.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭cletus

Esel wrote: »
    There is one word in the post above that says it all.

Hyundai?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

To me they always seems lazy as ****e when you call them.
    I've got a 99 Punto parked at my parents house which has been standing there for 4 years at this stage.
    No leaks at all with it, absolutely nothing wrong with it we just moved away at the time and it just got left there.
    Called them up during xmas and told them the story - no nct/tax etc etc and was told "it's a Fiat, no thanks" and they hung up.
    No idea what to do with the feckin thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

bear1 wrote: »
    To me they always seems lazy as ****e when you call them.
    I've got a 99 Punto parked at my parents house which has been standing there for 4 years at this stage.
    No leaks at all with it, absolutely nothing wrong with it we just moved away at the time and it just got left there.
    Called them up during xmas and told them the story - no nct/tax etc etc and was told "it's a Fiat, no thanks" and they hung up.
    No idea what to do with the feckin thing.

Donate it to DGT :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

bear1 wrote: »

I didn't think Fiats were that bad :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Donate it to DGT :pac:

He'd have it twin turbo'd in about 2 days :pac:
    BMJD wrote: »
    I didn't think Fiats were that bad :o

Me either, grand little yoke and all when it was running. Think it has about 60k on it.

Advertisement