Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Developrs Block

Options
  • 24-08-2014 8:04pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I'm having something similar to writers block. I can code like no tomorrow, but my weak point is Mobile Development and I don't fuss over Web App Development. My creativity is at an all time low. Is their any areas I can look at in an attempt to provide a creative solution?

What does interest me is Development for hardware, hence why I want a Raspberry Pi with some adds on so I can work on Machine Vision where possible. I also have an interest in Network Programming, Secure Communications and finding a Solution to improving Mobile/Broadband Network speed.

My one issue in the area of Network Development, is not having the infrastructure to work on or an Emulator to test. As for machine vision, I don't have the hardware yet and I want to pursue it as it is an area the Company I work in deals with. I could work on secure network communication and network solutions or compression.

I was wonder if anyone has any other suggestions in which I could research and begin developing for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Itzy wrote: »
    As for machine vision, I don't have the hardware yet and I want to pursue it as it is an area the Company I work in deals with. I could work on secure network communication and network solutions or compression.

Most of my developer peers use the camera on a phone for prototype computer vision projects.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Any idea how that would work or what I would need in the line of API or SDKs to work with an Android device?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Any idea how that would work or what I would need in the line of API or SDKs to work with an Android device?

Its just the regular camera API, download IntelliJ community edition and the Android SDK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

What does interest me is Development for hardware, hence why I want a Raspberry Pi with some adds on so I can work on Machine Vision where possible.

You don't need an rPi or even a camera to start working on computer vision.
    Just start with static images.
    This is important to a have a deterministic input to compare your results against.

I've used Java and the JAI (Java Advanced Imaging) library for image processing.

"Computer vision" is a huge area, so you need to really narrow down your requirements, eg. recognising simple objects on a conveyor belt, motion detection, face detection, facial recognition, object tracking, optical character recognition (text, car registration plates etc ).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

You don't need an rPi or even a camera to start working on computer vision.
    Just start with static images.
    This is important to a have a deterministic input to compare your results against.

I've used Java and the JAI (Java Advanced Imaging) library for image processing.

"Computer vision" is a huge area, so you need to really narrow down your requirements, eg. recognising simple objects on a conveyor belt, motion detection, face detection, facial recognition, object tracking, optical character recognition (text, car registration plates etc ).

That's a good suggestion. Gives me a good starting point. Thanks Chrome for the suggestion also. Have something to look up and work on now in the evenings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Also this: http://opencv.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Make a robot with a Raspberry Pi. I'm making one at the moment, lots of fun!

I'd actually see if I could make a quad copter with mounted camera.

Advertisement