Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yellow engine warning light on Ford focus

Options
  • 24-08-2014 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Got this on the way home from work this morning. I was an hour from home at 8am on a Sunday so I felt I had no option but to plough on.

The car seems to be driving as normal, no strange noises or power loss etc. One thing I have noticed for the last few days is that the speedometer will randomly go completely dead, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes for a couple of minutes. This morning the yellow warning light came on during one of these episodes and stayed on even when the speedometer came back to life.

I have work again tonight, a two hour roundtrip. Would it be a bad idea to drive the car again before taking it to a garage? I have no other means of getting to work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mphalo1

it's your s speedo sensor Ford Focus are nortorious for it ,it is OK to drive no harm will be done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭doxy

Thanks, I was hoping it was something like that. Is it an expensive fix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Get used to it a Ford without a warning light lit on the dash is the exception. ...

no its not, its a quick fix.

mphalo1 wrote: »
    no its not, its a quick fix.

Followed by another and another and another. ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

jca wrote: »
    Get used to it a Ford without a warning light lit on the dash is the exception. ...

nonsense. It would be best to find out which light it is lit. Describe it please OP or post a pic

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭anndub

Drove mine for two years like that. Had it diagnosed and it was a sensor issue. A common problem in the model I was told. I had it reset a number of times but it always came back on eventually.

I should mention my warning light was also accompanied by the spedometer issue. The clock used to cut off too so I could drive for twenty miles and maybe clock two.

I'd suggest getting it checked out to be sure but it's not an uncommon problem.

anndub wrote: »
    Drove mine for two years like that. Had it diagnosed and it was a sensor issue. A common problem in the model I was told. I had it reset a number of times but it always came back on eventually.

Exactly. Just ignore it as it just keeps coming back on. Interrogating the primitive ecu will tell you a load of nonsense.

no dont ignore obviously get it sorted , the chap was just asking would it be alright to go to work in it and we are saying according to the symptoms we are being told its the speedo sensor and its not going to mechanically damage the car , or leave him stranded on the side of the road altho it can causd the car to stall when stopping for junctions or whatever but yes (get it diagnosed , buy the sensor and have it fitted asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

It could also be the battery dying. I had the very same issue on the Zafira and people were telling me I needed a wheel hub sensor replaced and all sorts, when the first thing I would normally do for electrical issues is make sure the battery and alternator are OK. Checked battery. Replaced battery. Problem solved.

jca wrote: »
    Exactly. Just ignore it as it just keeps coming back on. Interrogating the primitive ecu will tell you a load of nonsense.

For the record, that's not what I was suggesting. An interesting interpretation though.

goz83 wrote:
    It could also be the battery dying. I had the very same issue on the Zafira and people were telling me I needed a wheel hub sensor replaced and all sorts, when the first thing I would normally do for electrical issues is make sure the battery and alternator are OK. Checked battery. Replaced battery. Problem solved.

no change in performance or battery light = not the alternator or battery dont confuse things

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭MikeD22

I had similar problem with my mondeo, warning light, clocks acting up and it turned out to be the battery.

Worth checking at least.

OSI wrote:
    Not necessarily. Had a Micra that wasn't charging the battery. No symptoms till the dials stopped working and then car wouldn't start after it was turned off.

I'll stand corrected if that is the case here no problem but id be shocked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭doxy

Thanks for the replies. It got me to and from work and still seems to be driving fine apart from the random speedometer drop outs and the yellow engine warning light.

Assuming that it's the speed sensor that needs replacing, how much is this likely to cost? Can anyone recommend a place in Cork to take it to?

Advertisement